Notices

Roll on Paint?

Old 12-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll on Paint?

Ive seen some youtube videos about this interlux stuff. Wonder if anyone has tried it using the tipping off method with a brush and roller. Im wondering if it will shine as good as it would if it was sprayed and also if its easy to work with and easy to get the brush marks out. Im looking into repainting the bottom of my boat with it, because i dont want to use bottom paint.. Im not looking for something that will last forever because if this stuff is easy enough to work with i wont mind doing it again. Any ideas on cost for this stuff and where i can buy it from? i prefer not to buy it online if possible. Also, can they mix it to be any color i want?
Old 12-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think what you are talking about is Interlux perfection.

They have pretty limited colors, but all the standard colors are there. it is not intended for underwater use, but will be fine if you keep the boat out of the water (i.e. only leave it in for a max of a few days). if it is longer than that, you need a true underwater paint.

It can be bought at jamestown distributors. you need a good foam roller and good badger hair brush. the equipment is not cheap. the paint itself is not cheap. From all the research I did, perfection is a version of Awlgrip... excellent product with zero fade issues.

The prep work is intense. the painting work is intense. there are videos online of how to do the work, watch them, I think they can be found through yachtpaint.com and/or jamestown. You will see it gets intense, is not easy, and is not cheap... but the results are professional and worth it if you take your time.

I priced it out for my boat, and by the time I was done adding everything up it wasn't much more to have the boat professionally sprayed in Awlgrip... so I'm paying someone to do the work
Old 12-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I used Awlgrip two years ago on the entire boat and had no problems. Boat stays in water all season, I pull out every two weeks to clean bottom and put it right back in. Everyone told me that the paint would bubble and it hasn't. I used the original Awlgrip not the 2000 and just rolled it on without tipping it with brush. The trick is to use plenty of reducer.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Registered

Do you have pictures of your repainted boat? possibly close up ones? can you see any evidence that it was roll painted on rather than sprayed? was the paint easy to work with? how much did the project cost all together? thanks for your input. Just trying to figure out if it would be worth my time to do it this way rather than paying someone to spray it. thanks.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Registered

Roll and tip is not that hard to do. the interlux products will hold up in the water fairly well the perfection holds up better than the brightsides but my waterline is brightsides and the boat sits in the water 5 months a year and been on for 3 yrs w/ out a problem. Alot of the big yachts are now rolled and tipped because prep time on taping and masking is almost none since there is no overspray. I have done this a few times and just like spraying the better the prep the better the final result. to answer your question it may actually have more gloss because you have not added any thinner which can sometimes cut the gloss down a bit.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want call me at 631-457-0117 and I"ll answer any questions you have Joe