Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
How to remove a deck, the easy way!!!!!!! >

How to remove a deck, the easy way!!!!!!!

Notices

How to remove a deck, the easy way!!!!!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its been a hell of a project! We are still going at it! We cant wait till were done!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Registered

Default scorpion project

Hey guys! We finished all the glass work on the boat.All new stringers and bulkheads! The stringers and bulk heads are 2 layers of 3/4 marinegrade ply! and 4 layers of glass! We went through at least a 55 gallons of epoxy! we also did the top deck too on this center console boat! crazy **** The transom is about 4 inches thick and everything now is heavy duty! Yes you can say it is a overbuild,but thats what he wanted! We did lower the deck back on for a dry fit and so far no problems! We will be lifting it back up so we can do the final bonding. The hull did open about 2 inches on each side but no problems on pushing it on the sides to lower the deck back on! One way to hold the shape is to strap it after the deck removal! We did that but then we decided to take the straps off! Anyway it worked out fine! I will be posting more pics of the finished bottom hull soon! Once the deck is back on,it will be glassed to the hull. There was alot of prep and grinding on this project! And a **** load of 1708,like 4 and 5 layers on everything! Once the deck is back on and glassed,it will be time to start doing the prep for paint! We are going to use gell coat! crazy but better! After its all done i will be doing my boat as well.Its the 34 foot scarab raider on this site as well! Thank you guys for the support and input! I will be posting pics soon!!!!!!!

Last edited by stevekyp; 02-09-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Registered

The motors that are going on this thing are 3x250efi's It sould go about 75 or more! On this 32 foot boat,they say it weighs about 4500 pounds. Well with all the exra beef we are probably more! But it will be an awesome ride when its done!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:11 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by stevekyp
The motors that are going on this thing are 3x250efi's It sould go about 75 or more! On this 32 foot boat,they say it weighs about 4500 pounds. Well with all the exra beef we are probably more! But it will be an awesome ride when its done!
you can bet on 5500 pounds at this point. 55 gallons of epoxy and a typical wet non bagged layup with that amount of resin should net ya about a thousand extra pounds pretty easy

pics look good
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 02-09-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Registered

Default 87 scorpion

here are some pics

Last edited by stevekyp; 02-10-2010 at 09:28 AM. Reason: not right
Old 02-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Registered

none

Last edited by stevekyp; 02-10-2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: none
Old 02-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Registered

Default 1987 scorpion pics

http://s949.photobucket.com/albums/a...ekyp/?newest=1

Here are some pics!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 1,483 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by stevekyp
Hey
Great Job,
I'm sure your busy however I thought I would ask how long prep work took prior to the deck removel? Like all the wiring, cables, etc. I may be doing the same thing on my boat so the deck mods I am planning on will go easier down lower to the ground on some sawhorses rather than up so high. Mine is a 32 spectra. Also I take it your deck was not glassed to the hull previously. I would like to have a heads up on mine before starting. Thanks for your help and updates with your project. MY deck is old school 1978 and is only about 1/4" thick. I plan to hang it from the trusses in my shop.

Thanks,
John
Old 02-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Hey
Great Job,
I'm sure your busy however I thought I would ask how long prep work took prior to the deck removel? Like all the wiring, cables, etc. I may be doing the same thing on my boat so the deck mods I am planning on will go easier down lower to the ground on some sawhorses rather than up so high. Mine is a 32 spectra. Also I take it your deck was not glassed to the hull previously. I would like to have a heads up on mine before starting. Thanks for your help and updates with your project. MY deck is old school 1978 and is only about 1/4" thick. I plan to hang it from the trusses in my shop.

Thanks,
John
Thank you very much! The prep work took about a couple of days of derigging,because we stripped everything of the boat!
Go for it,its not that bad and you will be doing it the right way!
Our deck was not glassed together,just screwed,but when you put it back on,you should through bolt it,insted of screws.the best way is to glass it,but its up to you.I built that sytem in the pics you seen based on my construction experience.I was also a mechanic for a while back in the day.I hope you do this also if you are planning to keep your boat!We went crazy on this biuld! We biult this system so high because the boat was still on the trailer and by the time you crank up the deck,you have enough clearence to pull the hull under it!
again this is a center console boat we have,so the upper deck is deep!On your boat you do not have to make it that high!
I wish you the best,and i hope you do it too!!!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 1,483 Likes on 802 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'll be sharing my experience in the next couple of days. I posted this also at Riverdavesplace.com in the Spectra section and a guy with a 20 footer commented that his was glassed together. With that said I may do the mods attached. None of is scares me though. I'm a do all kind of a guy myself and look forward to things like this. I'll get after and let you know what I find.

Thanks,
John

Looks like your doing an A1 job.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.