How to remove my trim tabs???

Notices

How to remove my trim tabs???

Old 05-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove my trim tabs???

Hey guys, I am not sure where to post this question, but here I go anyway, lol. I am trying to remove my trim tabs on my 98 Baja Outlaw. It has a white paste / glue holding them on. It also has a dozen screws. I removed the screws and tried to beat on it with a mallet and a block of wood and after two hours of no luck, they are still hanging on there.

The baja dealer said it is tuff stuff and it usually takes a chunk on gel coat off with it. I also tried to use a small wire to work between the trim tab and the transom but still no luck.

I would like to re-powder coat y swim deck too, but it has the same white paste holding it on. Any ideas? Has anyone ran into this stuff?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is 5200 bonding it together they sell a spray chemical "de-bonder" that will help to release it. The other thing that will help is to heat it up with a heat gun. Pry small sections at a time...DON'T FORCE IT. It will pull gelcoat off with it if you go to far.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks. Yes I think it is 3M 5200. I think I ll try some spray and then a little heat. Thanks
Old 05-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I know this sounds stupid, but I want to powder caot them purple. I know it is a lot of work to do but you know how it is when you want something done.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29tv6t&s=5
Old 05-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I thought about kplanes but I dont think tey will do that much for me right now. I am planing a new repower for next year and maybe do them then? What are the trye advantage of kplanes and when are they really needed?
Old 05-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

Use a razor blade like DD said and cut all around the edges as far in as you can. You could also try to get a piece of piano wire in behind them. The swim platform will not be as bad and you should be able to get a razor blade behind it fairly easily.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Registered

I agree, the razor blade. I then had to use a putty knife and hammer. As long as your careful, no damage to the gelcoat.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This stuff works great!

http://www.marineformula.com/index.htm

I ordered it online.

I also used hard wood wedges, a long bladed razor knife, and some plastic scrapers.

Did both of my Dana Tabs at the same time, and it took about 2.5 hours.
I would slice some, spray some marine formula on, wait about 10 minutes, then drive the wedges in a little further.... repeat. I had some guitar string waiting in the wings if needed, but didn't end up using it.

No damage to the gelcoat.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.