hull modification >

hull modification

Notices

hull modification

Old 07-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hull modification

Has anybody heard of someone modifying boat hull .For example adding a step a none step boat.Or something other then just a blue print to the bottom.I'm just curious how good a secondary bond would last under severe water pressure and pounding.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on who does it, how it is done, where it is placed etc... Also the materials used would be important. Epoxy would be a good way to go because of the strength. I have done a lot of hull work. I will say that it is not terribly uncommon for people to want to straighten the bottom (blue print the hull). However adding in a set of steps afterward is not very common. Also if they are added in the wrong spot it can be bad. Beyond that adding steps will also change the handling, turning & stopping attitude of the boat..

Just out of curiosity what hull are you thinking of messing with? Jamie
Old 07-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Registered

i didn't have a hull in mind but had a discussion if the secondary bond on fiberglass would be strong enough to last.How do the racers do it?.Do they lay up a new hull every time they want to change there combo.I would think the would be constantly tweaking the hull design to stay out front.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

The old Lucas Oil SuperV started out life as a non step Scarab. They added steps and, as i was told by one of the crew members, the running surface was left in tact under it all. It could be completely ground back off if it didnt work out. Not sure how valid the story is but thats what i was told at the worlds several years ago.

Not sure if these are steps or what but they were being added to a big azz sport fish. Saw them in the lot where we had the race boat at in Ocean City MD but couldnt find anyone to give me any details.
Attached Thumbnails hull modification-step.jpg   hull modification-step2.jpg  
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 07-10-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
The old Lucas Oil SuperV started out life as a non step Scarab. They added steps and, as i was told by one of the crew members, the running surface was left in tact under it all. It could be completely ground back off if it didnt work out. Not sure how valid the story is but thats what i was told at the worlds several years ago.

Not sure if these are steps or what but they were being added to a big azz sport fish. Saw them in the lot where we had the race boat at in Ocean City MD but couldnt find anyone to give me any details.
That interesting I would be very interested how it held up.If it held up I'm surprised you do no not here more people doing mods.It probably a case of not having enough balls on the chance it did not work
Old 07-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelcustoms
That interesting I would be very interested how it held up.If it held up I'm surprised you do no not here more people doing mods.It probably a case of not having enough balls on the chance it did not work
it is one of my all time favorites for "thinking out side the box" . weismann did some really trick stuff with that boat. Along with a pair of their drives they also did this cool in line engine araingment, both motors were back to back and had some kind of off set gearbox to drive the staggered drives. Its a shame that someone as inovative as those guys routinely have thier stuff outlawed by the powers that be. Maybe Pat can chime in here and give us the low down on the steps added to the bottom.

I think your probably right, time and the risk of it not working probably keep most from moding boats. I would imagine it was more common in the earliest days of the sport when you had to make your own speed though.
Attached Thumbnails hull modification-nigelhooksscarab.jpg   hull modification-nigelsinlinepackage.jpg   hull modification-nigelsmkiis.jpg  

08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 07-10-2009 at 09:42 PM.