Clay Bar and Gel Coat? >

Clay Bar and Gel Coat?

Notices

Clay Bar and Gel Coat?

Old 07-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clay Bar and Gel Coat?

I have read that is it fine to use a clay bar on gel coats.

My question is, does the clay bar dull the gel like paint? Will I need to polish after words or just wax?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 944 Likes on 474 Posts

Dull paint?? i just got done clayin gmy wifes jeep liberty this weekend and it didnt dull the paint in any way...are you using any lubricant while using the bar? i use soapy water...came out so nice i ALMOST didnt bother applying wax on the truck

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
Dull paint?? i just got done clayin gmy wifes jeep liberty this weekend and it didnt dull the paint in any way...are you using any lubricant while using the bar? i use soapy water...came out so nice i ALMOST didnt bother applying wax on the truck
I do use a lubricant with it and it all depends on the type of clay being used. There are some clay bars that are heavy and others like the one sold at the local parts store that are not. Also the lighter the color more it will not be noticed. And yes... clay is awesome.... l love the way the paint feels when it is done. Like new!

I clayed our trailer after the repair from our blowout. The shop had some over spray on it... why I have no idea! UGH anyway, we have a black trailer and you can see in the paint a slight amount of dullness. This can be taken out with a buffer and polish so it is really not a big deal, but I just wondering if it had the same effects on our gel coats.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Registered

It is true, there are different grades of clay. Why would you want to clay bar your boat? If you use a good wax, then any kind of debris should wash right off the boat. You have to remember that gelcoat is a much harder surface then paint. Which means contaminants have a tougher time embedding in it.

I recommend a good buff job, and then the use of a quality wax every 3 months. I find that collinite's paste fleetwax and Gary's royal satin provide excellent protection, but use what works best for you. Then wash the boat regularly with your choice of any marine or automotive grade soap.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Registered

There was a grit on the top of everything after the boat was in the shop getting some glass repaired. It felt like overspray but it wasn't, I am guessing some heavy build up of something.

I just used the Mother's Clay Bar and it removed whatever it was and then I backed it up with a marine wax. It feels like new now.

Talking about a good buff job..... what polish do you use/recommend for our boats?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2009, 07:48 AM
Registered

Its all depends on the condition of the boat, because there are different levels of aggressiveness with compounds. I have been trying a new company called "4 star products" ,which is a small local company in Tampa bay, and their products provide good cut and great shine. Their products maybe hard for you to find at a local store, but you can order direct from the manufacturer . But if you want to go with the traditional route, you can't go wrong with 3m products. I used their products in the beginning and they work great, but they get pricey.

This is the sequence I use for the 4star compounds :
1. Gelcoat extra cut compound(GEC) with a wool compounding pad
2. Gelcoat fininshing compound(GFC) with a yellow foam pad. Most of the time the boat looks flawless here. But you may need to take it an extra step
3. Gelcoat finishing material(GFM) with a yellow foam pad.

Depending on the condition of the boat, you may need a step up on the the initial cut and start with the heavy cut paste(HCP) on a wool pad, or you may be able to get away with just the second step above. Every boat is different. You can look at 2 of the same boats that look like the same condition, but they may end up needing different treatments.

I will give you some advice on your baja, keep the colors waxed all the time. Baja is notorious for their colors fading quickly, and the reds and purples are a pain. I usually have to wet sand those 2 colors while the others buff right out.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 406 Likes on 181 Posts

Will a clay bar take out water spots on paint?