Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Paint of gel coat? >

Paint of gel coat?

Notices

Paint of gel coat?

Old 12-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my boat back from having it completely re:gelcoated. I had the decks, sides, transom and hull done. The boat is 38 years old and looks like new. The guy has done an awesome job. Yes, it costs more because the work is labour intensive, but the finish product speaks for itself. In the past on other boats, I have tried partial regelling, Imrom, Awlgrip and the bottom teflon epoxy paint. Personally, I think gelcoat is the toughest and best looking as well as the easiest to DIY a little "oops" that may happen along the way. In the spring, it is my intention to apply sealer to maintain this beautifull finish. I will be using "Leverage" above the waterline and "VS721 bottom wax" below.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Default Gel Coat

Who did it? And, do have any pics? Congrats on being satisfied, hard to do these days it seems.

Jeff
Old 02-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnuts
I just got my boat back from having it completely re:gelcoated. I had the decks, sides, transom and hull done. The boat is 38 years old and looks like new. The guy has done an awesome job. Yes, it costs more because the work is labour intensive, but the finish product speaks for itself. In the past on other boats, I have tried partial regelling, Imrom, Awlgrip and the bottom teflon epoxy paint. Personally, I think gelcoat is the toughest and best looking as well as the easiest to DIY a little "oops" that may happen along the way. In the spring, it is my intention to apply sealer to maintain this beautifull finish. I will be using "Leverage" above the waterline and "VS721 bottom wax" below.
lets see it!

I have a 20 year old boat gel coated boat that looks liek it did when I got it. I baby it but I do use it.

UD
Old 02-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Registered

Boat was done in Perkinsfield, Ontario by Andy Maheu. I only grabbed a couple pics before storing it early in December. Boat was a little dusty from sitting in the shop for a couple of days so they don't really do the job justice. I am also not the best photographer. This boat is 39 years old.
[IMG][/IMG].[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by boatnuts; 02-22-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks very nice! It's as good as new from what I can see from the pictures.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Registered

Thanks .... capt2130
The guy did an awsome job. Even with a light dust film you can see the rich shine. He put 3 coats on before he was satisfied.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnuts
Thanks .... capt2130
The guy did an awsome job. Even with a light dust film you can see the rich shine. He put 3 coats on before he was satisfied.
Your boat looks very nice. Looks brand new! If you dont mind me asking, how much did that run you?? Also what size is your boat?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Registered

Boat is 24 feet long and the best I can say on the price is it was nasty but worth it. I did all the prep and fiberglass work. The boat is totally naked so they were able to flip it upside down which greatly helped the whole process in terms of time and quality.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll and Tip

i used the roll and tip method on a section of my transom a few years ago. With some practice this technique could produce a very nice finish. I was using the transom as a test run and eventually i'll probably do the whole boat this way. You really have to use good equipment and pay attention to the manufacturers recs on thinners etc. The concept is pretty simple. Roll the paint on horizontaly in a managable are and then go back with a good brush and make light vertical brush strokes over the area. The paint is designed to flow and self level and comes out looking very nice. Won't look as good as that gel coat (great job) but for a budget fix it's a good option.