painted boat question >

painted boat question

Notices

painted boat question

Old 12-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painted boat question

OK here is my problem, I left my boat in the water for about 6-8 weeks this summer, and the clearcoat, and paint has started to peel in sheets below the water line. I am looking to strip and repaint the sides, but I'm concerned that this will continue if left too long in the water.
Is there any particular paint/clear, or procedure that will allow a painted boat to be left in the water for any extended period of time?
I need some expert opinions on this before tackling this project.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

as of yet i dont believe there is any paint (that looks good) that can be left in the water for extended periods like that. Awlgrip is your best bet but has limited applications, cant really do any custom stuff to speak of. Are you refering to your Flame with the custom graphics?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Registered

What is awlgrip, and what are the limitations?

The graphics on the side are pretty extensive, but with a black hull I can design under the waterline to be just black
Old 12-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

You cant leave the boat in the water. I have been painting for 18 years and water goes threw paint. i have heat gunned moisture spots out of paint No manufacture will warranty paint below the water line
Old 12-22-2009, 07:50 AM
Registered

Awlgrip is considered a "Topside paint". It is the most used marine paint in the industry, but does not stand up to prolonged water exposure below the waterline.

If you plan on leaving your boat in the water for a few weeks again, you really need to have a bottom paint on the bottom. Bottom paint is not as pretty as topside paint, (at lot less sheen, and fewer color choices). What color boat do you have?

If you want to try to minimize the appearance of bottom paint, just scuff sand the paint with 80 grit and apply a couple of coats of white bottom paint.

If you plan on leaving the boat in the water most of the time, I would recommend the added step of a marine epoxy barrier coat primer before applying the bottom paint.

If you are in fresh water, then you don't need an expensive bottom paint. If color does not matter, I would go with a cheap bottom paint.

Last edited by jtanner; 12-22-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Registered

I have a all black hull, with orange and purple flames and demons on the side of the boat (some of which is below the water line)
We are looking to do a teflon bottom paint (used for racing sailboats)
sounds like I will need to go up to the water line with it as well.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Registered

If you want a teflon paint bottom paint, you can use Silver Bullet. Let me know if you want any tips on the application.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Registered

There Is Not A Paint That Will Stay On The Boat Below The Water Line Except Bottom Paint
Also By Adding Bottom Paint To Your Boat It Will Lower The Resale Value Of The Boat There Are Dealer That Will Not Take A Performance Boat On Trade If It Has Bottom Paint
Also If You Are In Fresh Water A Cheap Bottom Paint Will Not Last I Have Found That A Better Quality Paint Will Last Longer Then A Cheap Paint
But Remember That There Are Different Types Of Paints For Different Type Of Waters
I Alway Recommend That If You Keep The Boat In The Water Do Not Paint Below Water Line
You Could Also Try Tape Type Graphics They Will Last A Little Longer And Are Easier And Cheaper To Replace
Old 12-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used interlux poly and have had great success with it, the bottom of my boat is painted with it, I leave in for days at a time with no issues, now as long as you are, not sure there, but no base coat/clear coat automive paint is going to take that...imron may be a possibility....Rob
Old 12-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Registered

Why not just Gel Coat ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.