Using filler to smooth out joints?? >

Using filler to smooth out joints??

Notices

Using filler to smooth out joints??

Old 02-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Using filler to smooth out joints??

Replacing the carpet in my cruisers cabin and have a floor joint that needs smoothed out. 1 panel sits a litter higher than the matting panel. Then the 2 layers of glass layed right on top of each other over that joint makes a nice little hump, plus the ridge at the glass ends. I don't want to sand the hump down to the wood for fear it's only thing holding the floor together.
Can I use a filler mixture of WM's 404 or 406 (preference? I have both) and some hardware store poly resin to fill in the low spots just past the joint itself using a 6-8" trowel? Thinking 1/8" at most, (probably less) will be the thickest immediately past the joint, to the ends of the glass, then feathered out to nothing. A 2 step taper if that makes sense. The floor is 5/8 ply with a coating of resin. Just not sure if the filler would work here, thinking it might be too brittle and chance popping loose? Floor feels solid, but it is a single sheet of wood, so some flex has to be assumed.

Or do I have to build up the low spots with strips of glass and finish off with 1 layer over all? Naturally the filler route would be easiest.

I don't expect to rid the hump, just feather it out.
Thanks
Old 02-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I like 404 for fairing, sands easy but can have porosity. You should be fine with the method you described. Just make sure the surface is prepped well with 36 grit.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )