1991 31' Scarab Thunder Textured Deck >

1991 31' Scarab Thunder Textured Deck

Notices

1991 31' Scarab Thunder Textured Deck

Old 03-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 31' Scarab Thunder Textured Deck

As the title says, my deck is textured. Not the whole thing but most of it. I am curious if this was something that was done from the factory. I have the spec sheet and can't see anything about it as a standard or an option. I would love to get rid of it. It is functional but hell to keep clean and doesn't look as good, IMO. Whether this is a factory option or not, would there be gel coat under so I could just sand the texture off and buff it out? Would using a stripper work better, if at all?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you mean the black bottom paint there are alot of posts on here about how to remove it ez off oven cleaner is what alot of people recommend and alot of sanding
Old 03-16-2010, 06:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by andyt25
If you mean the black bottom paint there are alot of posts on here about how to remove it ez off oven cleaner is what alot of people recommend and alot of sanding
Not bottom paint. My actual deck.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what you're talking about... Our '83 377 had that crap on the deck too, as did our 86' Sundancer... We had a couple of blemishes on the deck where the texture was... It looked like the texturing was put on the deck before the gel, and it didn't appear that there was gel beneath the texture. That said, I don't think any of the blemishes went deeper than the texture, but it did look like the texture was in the glass, or above the glass and below the gel coat.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My 89 31' Excel also has the textured top deck. A biotch to keep clean! Simple Green and a stiff brush works well on mine.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Run_em_hard
As the title says, my deck is textured. Not the whole thing but most of it. I am curious if this was something that was done from the factory. I have the spec sheet and can't see anything about it as a standard or an option. I would love to get rid of it. It is functional but hell to keep clean and doesn't look as good, IMO. Whether this is a factory option or not, would there be gel coat under so I could just sand the texture off and buff it out? Would using a stripper work better, if at all?
I have it on the deck of my 89 ScarabIII and its in the gel. The molds are made with the texture in them. You can sand if off but not so sure there would be enough gel to be able to buff it out. Its kind of a roll of the dice and you have to be prepared to paint if you blow through anywhere. The method i use to keep it clean is a stiff bristle brush and that Soft Scrub. Works pretty good.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Registered

Thanks guys. Sounds like I will plan on painting the boat next winter and take care of it then.