Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Need some work done on my hatch. Anyone reasonable on LI?? >

Need some work done on my hatch. Anyone reasonable on LI??

Notices

Need some work done on my hatch. Anyone reasonable on LI??

Old 03-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some work done on my hatch. Anyone reasonable on LI??

In a breif conversation I was told by an expert installaling a scoop and bowing my hatch to fit better would be about 10 hrs work. The estimate was about $1600 keeping in mind He didnt see it in person Im not holding him to be %100 on his numbers.I know fiberglass guys usually get mor money for what they do then just about any other trade I have ever seen but to me this work is only worth $800 plus I would buy the scoop. Im not saying not they arent worth the money. Im just saying that I would leave it as is before I pay more then $800 to do it. Any body good and local for $800 including meterials except the scoop???
Old 03-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is my experience that you usually get what you pay for.. I haven't seen your project either, but do remember there is more to bowing a hatch & cutting & bonding a scoop into place. At least if you want it to look nice.. Remember it will be needing to be filled & faired before the unit will look smooth again and appear to be "made that way".. We have done & do the kind of work you are asking about, it is not uncommon for stuff like that to sometimes take more than a couple of hours to get a piece to look like it was a factory part.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 03-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im more about go then show and Im not a perfectionist. I know tho old saying you get what you pay for very well. But I also know over paying for something doeasnt mean better work. Im using the 10 hr estimate I got. I just think 10 hrs wotk and a few bucks in supplies has its price. I have had two estimates one for $600 and one for $1600. There has to be a medium point. Its not surgery, its glass work. When the $600 guy comes I will know if I think he is capable and If he convinces that its more work then planned and doubles his price at least I would be saving $400