Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Fiberglass windscreen project >

Fiberglass windscreen project

Notices

Fiberglass windscreen project

Old 04-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to be taking off the deck hatches and I also have the porthole windows. I'll dig for those screw things.

Where do you get the 1700? My favorite place (US Composites) doesn't carry it. Also, how much would you guesstimate I should get? I still have tons of other glass from overestimating.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

you can get the 1700 here, not sure why its so hard to find but no one seems to carry it. You'd think with as much as places push epoxy they would stock it, especialy us comp.

http://store.raka.com/biaxial1700-17...x-45x38in.aspx

Stuffs pretty cheap but only 38 inches wide i would probably get ten or fifteen yards or so.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-21-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again Dave!

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if you've used the US Composites 635 slow? It's the only resin/hardener I've used and seems to be just fine... I'm just wondering how West Systems or other these guys (Raka) stack up? I mean aren't they all coming from Dow or Shell?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhammer
Thanks again Dave!

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if you've used the US Composites 635 slow? It's the only resin/hardener I've used and seems to be just fine... I'm just wondering how West Systems or other these guys (Raka) stack up? I mean aren't they all coming from Dow or Shell?
I have an epoxy chemist on staff (friend of mine ) and yes for the most part all the bases come from two or three manufacturers. 635 is a great resin and i used it exclusively up until i started dealing with a more local company. I found a great company called Plasco and they offer a great high impact resin that i have been using and really like. I still use 635 if i cant make the drive up to get it local, its still a hundred mile drive for me. West System is flat out way over marketed, dont get me wrong its fine but way to expensive for what your actually getting. Havnt used Raka yet but it looks like the pricing is right.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )