Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
transom and below the water line painting? >

transom and below the water line painting?

Notices

transom and below the water line painting?

Old 05-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transom and below the water line painting?

i have been doing alot of reading on below the water line paint and would like some input from a pro if possible. i know new gel coat would be the way to go but that is out of the question for now. the transom on my boat needed some holes filled and a few mods for the new trim tabs. well i sanded the white paint off the transom down to the factory gel coat wich was black! i never knew someone had painted this boat. its a very hard paint looks to be single stage like imron or such. well now i have an open can of worms and need some input to get this thing back togeather. from everything i read on imron it should'nt be used below the water line. my boat never stays in the water. 24 hours at max. seeing as i will probably strip every inch of white paint from the rub rail down i will need a product that can go below the water line and still keep a nice luster. i will also have to seal the factory gel before i paint. i have looked into the awlgrip hull guard 2 part primer. pettit vivid white bottom paint. again this is from the rub rail down and it will show when i'm on the lake. i was told if you thin and spray pettit it looks just like gel and damn near just as tough. and later plans are to use alwgrip top side for everything from the rub rail up. or is there a more simple way? imron again? i dont want to get on the lake and have my paint falling off in sheets. any input would be a big help.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I've always used PPG's Concept single stage with DG-48 epoxy sealer. Imron is probably your best bet if you need to go with an automotive product. Sorry i havnt had any experiance with the Petit stuff.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Registered

Default paint

Originally Posted by glassdave
I've always used PPG's Concept single stage with DG-48 epoxy sealer. Imron is probably your best bet if you need to go with an automotive product. Sorry i havnt had any experiance with the Petit stuff.
thanks for the info. after spending hours looking at forums on the internet looks as though i will just repaint the way it was. i do have a friend that works for ppg here local. is there any special id on the concept paint you use? i searched for the dg-48 epoxy sealer also and couldnt find any information on it. is it made by ppg also?
Old 05-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

oops my bad its DP-48, its a white epoxy sealer. The Concept is DCC and its a single stage eurathane.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Registered

Default thanks

Originally Posted by glassdave
oops my bad its DP-48, its a white epoxy sealer. The Concept is DCC and its a single stage eurathane.
question on the sealer. i filled some holes from the old trim tab set up in the back of the transom. wood dowels in resin then a coat of duraglass to smooth it all out. job looks great. will the dp-48 sealer work as a blocker so i wont have to use any gel coat? and how well does it build and sand? again thanks for the info. my friend over at ppg says no problem on getting the stuff so hopefully i can paint this weekend.