Notices

Spider Cracks

Old 05-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spider Cracks

My 96 Fountain 24cs has several areas on the boat that have spider cracks in the gel coat , hull, deck, etc. How concerned should I be about spider cracks?
Old 05-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

welcome to Fountain ownership.....let me guess back of the swim platform, in front of rear hatch on the sides, by the vents, and the dash in front of the passenger front seat. All three of the Fountains I have owned have had stress cracks in those areas....
Old 05-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Registered

Swim step yes, other area no(t yet). I also have cracks in the gel at the cap/hull joint right at the fire wall and botom of the hull. All spiders none open (yet). Don't know if I should be worried or if this is Fountain.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 225hcca
Swim step yes, other area no(t yet). I also have cracks in the gel at the cap/hull joint right at the fire wall and botom of the hull. All spiders none open (yet). Don't know if I should be worried or if this is Fountain.

Mine 24cs does too in both places.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 225hcca
My 96 Fountain 24cs has several areas on the boat that have spider cracks in the gel coat , hull, deck, etc. How concerned should I be about spider cracks?

if they show up on both sides and in similar places they are most likely superficial. Just a natural occurrence on many boats and dont pose any structural issues. Biggest problem they can cause is if they are deep enough to hold water, freeze/thaw cycling can do some damage as well.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Small spider cracks aren't necessarily out of the ordinary, even though they are unsightly. Especially in some of those areas that were mentioned. Keep an eye on them, if they start to worsen then it would be wise to at have them looked into further. Sometimes reinforcing the area from behind more can help eliminate them from spreading or coming back once repaired.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 06-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Registered

Default spider cracks

thanks for the input, I have done some medium to large repairs on the nose and am monitoring the rest. currently they are not an issue cuz the motor let go two weeks back so the "fat bottom girl" is dry docked for a while!