Raised Hatch / Scoop Questions >

Raised Hatch / Scoop Questions

Notices

Raised Hatch / Scoop Questions

Old 06-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raised Hatch / Scoop Questions

Ok so this weekend I threw together a hatch from 3/4" and 1/2" stock I had around the shop. Had to do a raised hatch since the motor came up 3" for the imco box. Now I know the "proper" way to build one would be to use it as plug and do a mold but I'm looking to just run it as is to see if I like it.

Looking for input on the proper way to glass and finish it. I have done minimal glassing project previously so looking for some input to do it right.

How many layers of glass? Two?

What would be the best way to glass? Large sheet across the top and roll the corners then narrower sheets across the frame? Or should I use all wide sheets and go from front to back?

Should I glass the entire thing then cutout for the scoop?

What is the proper way to attach a scoop? I know it needs to come thru from the bottom but do i need to grind out a relief for the scoop flange on the bottom side of the hatch so its flush when the hatch is open?

Also any tips on the bodywork side to get it to look right?

Again, I'm sure I could fumble thru it but figured I could get some valuable insight on here. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Raised Hatch / Scoop Questions-hatch2.jpg   Raised Hatch / Scoop Questions-hatch.jpg  

Last edited by fantastixvoyage; 06-07-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

round those corners with a sander.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to "glass in".

Are you trying to hide the mounting flange?

Or are you trying to have a complete fiberglass deck across the back, along with the scoop being an integral (not looking like its bolted on) part of the deck?

If you are doing the entire deck, I would try and find a place that has a fiberglass chopper gun and have them spray the piece for you. It should only run you about 50-75 bucks. I have large go-kart pieces done that way all the time.

I do paint and body so I can help if I understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Last edited by dlb2; 06-09-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Hey Niel if you radius those corners just right it looks like its shallow enough you might be able to pull a skin over the surface with no cut reliefs. At the very worst if it doesnt pull you can still do it with single layer laminates and just cut a relief at the corners and overlap them. I'd probably just use two layers of 1208 on the inside and out and gusset those side panels just for safety. Laminate the whole thing then cut the hole for the scoop. Gimmie a call . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )