Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Fiberglass repair on Old Old boat. >

Fiberglass repair on Old Old boat.

Notices

Fiberglass repair on Old Old boat.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the cobra cutout will work with an alpha, just gotta drill a few extra holes or something like that, but don't take my word for it, do a google search.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a good way to tell if the stringers or floor is rotted? The invader floor was and is solid, stringers and motor mount blocks are trashed but only in the engine compartment area. The fiberglass above them was solid. So when I looked at it looked OK. I would hate to trade this boat for one that is in the same shape or worse.
Thanks,
Speed
Old 07-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Registered

I didn't mean to bag on your project so harsh. Nothing wrong with buying a boat to refurb for practice/experience. Fact is I've spent the last year and a half doing the same thing on a boat that was supposedly rock solid when I bought it

And really with as small as that boat is, you could probably redo the stringers/floors for relatively low cost. I just wouldn't go all out on materials to do it. Use some decent poly, get your plywood from the lumber yard and get it back together to bang around on for the rest of the year.

Originally Posted by speedboatr
Dave thanks for the info.

Guys I do agree this boat is not worth the effort and has morphed into a hell of a project. Way more than I wanted it to. I picked up the boat to practice on redoing the interior and hopefully make a buck that thought has long sailed…… as it turns out I’m practicing on all parts of boat refurbishing at a loss was not my plan but unless I can find a home for the motor and drive guess I’m stuck. . …….anyone know of a nice solid 18-19’ boat that needs nothing but the motor and drive.
Speed
Old 07-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Registered

You can tap on them with a small hammer, or the head of a screwdriver and listen for dullness. If it sounds hollow, it is.

Only way to find out for sure is to take core samples using a drill bit or small hole saw.

Originally Posted by speedboatr
Is there a good way to tell if the stringers or floor is rotted? The invader floor was and is solid, stringers and motor mount blocks are trashed but only in the engine compartment area. The fiberglass above them was solid. So when I looked at it looked OK. I would hate to trade this boat for one that is in the same shape or worse.
Thanks,
Speed
Old 07-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Registered

No harm, I have looked at options on other boats, scrapping it, over doing it, you name it, but I keep coming back to it will be an inexpensive, relatively easy (compared to a big boat) and a good chance to learn how to…… run like hell if I ever get a chance with a real boat . I really wanted practice on interiors. Guess that will wait for a while.
I will be posting some more pics as soon as I get a little further along. Also what to do with the foam?? Do I trash what is there and replace it with new??
Speed
Old 07-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Registered

The stringer in this boat looks to be 3/4 “ plywood. From what I have read it sounds like this could be the case. Only the last 2’ are bad, how would I splice in a new piece in to replace the last 2’ ?
Do I need to bolt or screw the new part of the stringer to the old existing part or is it good enough to glass the new piece to the existing?
My first thought is to make the new or replacement part of the stringer in 3 parts, the 1st part is the same as old stringer and cut to fit just as the old part of the stringer that was removed. Next add two more parts the same but 3 to 4” longer and sandwich or overlap the joint. Screw the pieces together and glass the whole thing in place? Let me know what you guys think and any tricks to how this should be done will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Speed
Old 07-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Registered

Man you got yourself into a lot of work. Call me or stop by Face It we do work like your doing all the time. I can steer you in the right direction. www.MyBoatNeedsRepaired.com We are north of mason, butler warren and hamilton rd.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Registered

Thanks Face It, you are right little bit of a project.

anyone have hints on splicing stringers??
Old 08-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Registered

Ok guys, stringers are in place and ready to glass them in. couple dumb questions.

Does the glass go in chop side down??
If the vinyl resin dries do I need to sand it before the next coat.
Wrap over the stringer and about 6” on either side?
Two layers of glass over the stringer enough? Looks like the original only had one layer and was not tight to the stringer…… this is how the water got into the stringer originally so I want to do this step right so I don’t have to do this again….
Thanks,
Speed
Old 08-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Registered

Hey C Deezy

Just picked up a 1997 Scarab Jet to put the 4.3 into. Is that a little better home for it??
Only problem is now I’m considering putting in a 350 in it

Speed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.