Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Weird strips on bottom of hull? >

Weird strips on bottom of hull?

Notices

Weird strips on bottom of hull?

Old 06-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Russ, where are you located? It might be a good idea to have a GOOD glass guy look that over to at least check it structurally.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes, that looks bad. Looks like they tried to fix it with drywall tape and mud.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
somebody with no idea what they were doing tried to fix some kind of damage at one point is my best guess, looks like gouges and blisters fixed with tape and then painted
i agree or something to that affect. Possibly was amateur repaired with gel coat and they used the tape trick to induce the air inhibited cure. I have actually used the trick my self but its only for small chips and stuff.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
i agree or something to that affect. Possibly was amateur repaired with gel coat and they used the tape trick to induce the air inhibited cure. I have actually used the trick my self but its only for small chips and stuff.
Dave what would you say a rough estimate would be to resurface the whole pad and finish it the right way would be? we talking like a couple thousand or like $10,000?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:37 PM

Russ, those tape like marks are in all the older aggressor hulls, it was something for the process for pulling the mold at the time. When I had the transom done I also had a chip repaired on the bottom that you may of found that I showed you when you bought the boat. I would call Sunsation and they would explain the marks better than I can. Joe explained it to me during the transom replacement.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sunsation96
Russ, those tape like marks are in all the older aggressor hulls, it was something for the process for pulling the mold at the time. When I had the transom done I also had a chip repaired on the bottom that you may of found that I showed you when you bought the boat. I would call Sunsation and they would explain the marks better than I can. Joe explained it to me during the transom replacement.
Thanks Jonathan, I sent a message over to Joe.

I makes no sense why they would make the pad rough like that to
Old 06-29-2010, 09:49 PM

The pad being rough makes the hull less sticky=faster Glass Dave can comment on that better than I can. But some of that may of been from beaching the boat (Disclaimer: I have never beached that boat) Have you had it out since your last adventure?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Registered

The pad being rough makes the hull less sticky=faster Glass Dave can comment on that better than I can. But some of that may of been from beaching the boat (Disclaimer: I have never beached that boat) Have you had it out since your last adventure?
Yeah i've had it out twice since than. I love standing up driving up but im relegated to sitting and i'm getting more accustomed to it.

I still dont trust the boat in any kind of rougher water, just dont have a good feel for it yet. We were on last friday (coincidence, we were not at jobby nooner, and with all the boat traffic it was a little rough and frankly it scared the heck out of me a couple times and that was at like 30mph lol). I did hit 68 on the gps speedo in some dead calm water though with a little throttle left, I know it has a 70mph run in it with ideal conditions.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:01 PM

That is great you will see more than 70 soon, I have seen more than that at some fun runs and a poker run in rough water and not too far behind the 32's and ahead of the 288's up to St.Clair. But just like the guy with the twin to your boat seat time is key.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

my second guess was gonna be they were tape lines from an insert that was put in the mold during the build process. Its common to have a mold insert for steps or a pad or ?? usually the seam is dressed with a molding cley but sometimes tape is used as a quick and dirty method with the intention to clean it up later. it surprises me that something like that would leave the factory.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.