Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
well it has begun (transom replacement) >

well it has begun (transom replacement)

Notices

well it has begun (transom replacement)

Old 07-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well it has begun (transom replacement)

In light of my 4 day weekend ahead, i saw it fit to begin the transom replacement in the formula. today i got the motor about half way ready to come out and cleaned up a little bit and removed other misc. hardware. since i pulled the exhaust, i pulled the thru hull tip out to take a peak at what lies within. all i can say is that i am glad im replacing it!!

I will be trying to take a bunch of pics of the process as i go and updating this thread. i have a few pics now but I am going to wait until i have more before i start uploading. I would love to have the engine compartment ready for the new transom by tuesday, but that is optimism at its finest!!

I will be replacing it (starting from the outer hull working in) 1 1/2oz mat, 3/4 ply, 1 1/2oz mat, 3/4 ply, 1708 biax, 1708 biax and I will be using vinylester resin. all fiberglass supplies are on their way, i just need to go pick up some grinding discs, some plywood, and a GOOD respirator.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Registered

7/1/2010- between yesterday and today i prepped the motor for removal as well as pulling batteries, boxes and other misc. items. tomorrow the engine will be coming out after work. here are a couple of before pics and progress pics

after:

Old 07-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

sounds strange, but hopefully its REALLY BAD... the more rotten it is, the easier it is to get out.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck Hawk.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Registered

you should get a longer chain, lol
Old 07-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
sounds strange, but hopefully its REALLY BAD... the more rotten it is, the easier it is to get out.
I agree, pulled my inner layer out in pieces(mulch), and threw it in a wheelbarrow. Second layer(outer) came out in sheets.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Mine came put mostly by simple scraping wit a putty knife...

Old 07-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
Mine came put mostly by simple scraping wit a putty knife...

That looks Familiar
Old 07-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Registered

well from what i can tell the whole port side is still solid... unfortunatly. starboard should come out like the pics though!!

i was thinking i needed a little longer chain too!! glad someone else out there thinks 20ft isnt enough!!

todays progress: pulled the engine at a buddies shop (with a forklift)

degreased the engine bay 3 times and scrubbed it on the last time in an attempt to create a clean place for me to dirty up!!

also, i am only putting a few of the plathora of pics i am taking on here, if you really want to follow in depth, go here http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v607/hawk232/formula/
Old 07-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Registered

well today i finished removing everything that was mounted to the transom (which was my goal for today)

got a good sneak peek on what i was dealing with

and finally decided that i couldnt wait till tomorrow like originally planned... went and bought a respirator and various other supplies and got started...

here is a close up showing the stringers cut in order to allow room to get the new transom in

so far everything has gone faster than expected, i know thats going to stop soon though because the top half still has solid wood.

while grinding i have a shop vac sitting behind the boat. i realized that if i put in where the gimbal plate goes, i can turn it on and off from inside the boat. i routed the hose through one of the exhaust holes and just leave it running while im grinding. its amazing how effective it is!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.