Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By glassdave

Thread: Chip question

Registered
    My Boats:
    2007 Formula FasTech 292

Chip question

I have a 07 Formula Fastech, and somehow got 1"X1" chip on the bottom of the hull. I'm wondering if there is a product that I should use to "patch" the chip. I would prefer to fix this problem myself than bring it to a glassguy...... any suggestions????? Thanks!

Neno the mind boggler Gold Member glassdave's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum
    oh sure . . . i tell you . . . .you tell somebody else . . . next thing i know I'm out of a job

Actually small chips like that can easily be fixed in the driveway. If its white i believe West Marine sells kits for chip repair and this is really the best way to obtain small quantities to do minor stuff. I start out by wiping down the area with acetone then take a piece of 80 grip sandpaper and rough up the inside of the chip as deep as you can. Or better yet if you have a die grinder take a ball end carbide and clean it out that way. Be careful to not get to deep into the fiberglass as gel is only good to fill so many mils. If you can get a kit with finish gel (waxed) that would be good but not completely necessary. If the chip isnt to deep i will take a small touch up brush and sort of fill the chip as best ya can then take a piece of masking tape and lightly mask over the chip without pushing down on the actual gel. This will help level the gel and seal it from air to allow full cure. After its cured cut off about an inch of a wood paint stick and wrap a piece of 100 grip sandpaper around to use as a block. Sand the gel level then step up in the grits finer to about 800 or 1000 wet then buff . . . . .

Piece-o-cake
    kennyo likes this.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction 377 Talon
    08 OPA Class 1 National Champion
    08 Class 1 Geico Triple Crown Champion
    08 OPA High Points Champion
    10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Registered
    My Boats:
    2007 Formula FasTech 292
    Thanks Dave..... big help! I will try your method!

My Boats:
    97' Scarab Jet, 77' Checkmate, 87 Wellcraft Antigua
    Hi Dave,
    Is this the kind of stuff you are talking about?

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=106

Thanks
    Speed

VIP Member VIP Member offshoredrillin's Avatar
    My Boats:
    00 Cig Tiger,74 Cig 20'
    Quote Originally Posted by glassdave View Post
    oh sure . . . i tell you . . . .you tell somebody else . . . next thing i know I'm out of a job

Actually small chips like that can easily be fixed in the driveway. If its white i believe West Marine sells kits for chip repair and this is really the best way to obtain small quantities to do minor stuff. I start out by wiping down the area with acetone then take a piece of 80 grip sandpaper and rough up the inside of the chip as deep as you can. Or better yet if you have a die grinder take a ball end carbide and clean it out that way. Be careful to not get to deep into the fiberglass as gel is only good to fill so many mils. If you can get a kit with finish gel (waxed) that would be good but not completely necessary. If the chip isnt to deep i will take a small touch up brush and sort of fill the chip as best ya can then take a piece of masking tape and lightly mask over the chip without pushing down on the actual gel. This will help level the gel and seal it from air to allow full cure. After its cured cut off about an inch of a wood paint stick and wrap a piece of 100 grip sandpaper around to use as a block. Sand the gel level then step up in the grits finer to about 800 or 1000 wet then buff . . . . .

Piece-o-cake
    Huh??? wth is 80 and 100 grip..now I'm scared

Platinum Member Platinum Member Knot 4 Me's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Old/Heavy/Slow
    http://www.spectrumcolor.com/

I use their gel paste for this type of repair.

My Boats:
    97' Scarab Jet, 77' Checkmate, 87 Wellcraft Antigua
    Thanks Knot 4 Me!
    They have the color I need. I will let you know how it goes
    Speed