Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fiberglass and Paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint-167/)
-   -   filling a hole from a thru hull fitting for a pump out toilet (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/239101-filling-hole-thru-hull-fitting-pump-out-toilet.html)

30ctsutphen 09-14-2010 08:34 PM

filling a hole from a thru hull fitting for a pump out toilet

I am thinking of filling the hole from my pump out in the botttom of the hull.
Its just getting too crazy in some lakes to have it there.

Its a 92 sutphen any one have any input. It should be a high pressure area.

Just wanna make sure that if I do it I do it right.

Audiofn 09-16-2010 07:14 PM

How thick is the glass? Is it cored were you are making the repair?

seahorse1 09-19-2010 08:59 PM

thru hull lamination

Originally Posted by 30ctsutphen (Post 3208003)
I am thinking of filling the hole from my pump out in the botttom of the hull.
Its just getting too crazy in some lakes to have it there.

Its a 92 sutphen any one have any input. It should be a high pressure area.

Just wanna make sure that if I do it I do it right.

To do it right, you must do a "v" lamination pattern, remove the thru hole fitting, with a grinder, clean all caulk, old resin, etc, till you see clean fiber from original lamination. use three mats and two Robbin or Knytex Cloth (boat construction grade) cover at least 4 inches arround the hole, use a slow set on the resin, (usualy is one once of hardener to a gallon of resin),, use half of an ounce on a hot day) slow set will let you work with a roller and remove a bubbles etc. once dry,,, using a grinder, grind arround the hole to make a bevel of at least
3/4" deep by 4" arround it, before thinking of laminating, start cutting round pieces of mats, cut several of them or as many as you need to fill the hole till it becomes flush with the rest of hull surface, the rest is with a sander to make it even and gelcoat finish, I think in a masage you're only allowed 200 caracters, so i tried to be as short and simple, but it's the way to do it, good luck
Nelsson

Thunderstruck27 09-20-2010 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by seahorse1 (Post 3212021)
To do it right, you must do a "v" lamination pattern, remove the thru hole fitting, with a grinder, clean all caulk, old resin, etc, till you see clean fiber from original lamination. use three mats and two Robbin or Knytex Cloth (boat construction grade) cover at least 4 inches arround the hole, use a slow set on the resin, (usualy is one once of hardener to a gallon of resin),, use half of an ounce on a hot day) slow set will let you work with a roller and remove a bubbles etc. once dry,,, using a grinder, grind arround the hole to make a bevel of at least
3/4" deep by 4" arround it, before thinking of laminating, start cutting round pieces of mats, cut several of them or as many as you need to fill the hole till it becomes flush with the rest of hull surface, the rest is with a sander to make it even and gelcoat finish, I think in a masage you're only allowed 200 caracters, so i tried to be as short and simple, but it's the way to do it, good luck
Nelsson

When filling the "v" lamination pattern should the round pieces of mat start small and gradually get larger or should all the pieces be the same size? thanks

ebendrey 09-20-2010 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck27 (Post 3212188)
When filling the "v" lamination pattern should the round pieces of mat start small and gradually get larger or should all the pieces be the same size? thanks

I am curious on the answer on this. From my reading, it is always difference size pieces but I have seen some say the big piece should go in first (make a bowl shape) followed by the smaller pieces. Other books say to put the smallest piece in first (all of the fiberglass would stay straight and parallel).

glassdave 09-20-2010 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ebendrey (Post 3212389)
I am curious on the answer on this. From my reading, it is always difference size pieces but I have seen some say the big piece should go in first (make a bowl shape) followed by the smaller pieces. Other books say to put the smallest piece in first (all of the fiberglass would stay straight and parallel).

as long as i have been doing this i have heard arguments for both methods. My choice (at the moment anyway lol) is to do the smaller pieces first working out to the larger ones then compress with a vacuum, in my mind this keeps all the fibers in the repair oriented in the same plane but you need to be pretty accurate when cutting patterns. Maybe Steve1 will jump in on this one with the techie side of it :D

I have done it both ways plenty of times and have yet to have a failure.

30ctsutphen 09-21-2010 11:03 PM

Thanks guys I was busy witha poker run thread for a week or so.LOL

I am not sure when this will get done and I cant do it myself, I had an Isocyante exposure issue from painting cars a few years back and dont go anywhere near anything 2 part now.

So that being said is anyone really good to go with in The CT Mass or RI area.

This isnt something I want some hack working on for me.