Notices

Bottom Paint

Old 03-05-2011, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Den P
Great advice, thanks! I have NO idea what's on there now, as the boat was a repo..I was told VC-17 by a paint store..Any opinions on this?

The VC products are great. Did a 25 Sundancer many years ago with it and was very satisfied with the results. Boat lost no speed at all and was far easier to care for during the season. End of season clean up was very simple as well.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS
Pettit makes a vivid AF paint that is rather nice for a bottom paint and is available in numerous colors including white.. It adheres rather well & can be applied over almost any paints or gels.. We have used if for years now with good results on bottom painted hulls..

Jamie / Lakeside

Pettit makes a vivid AF paint

what he said ......
Old 03-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definately plus another for the VIVID. Ran white on a little Chaparral and have black on the Carver. Really no comparison between the Vivid black and other paints. On a sport boat you could go with one of the bright colors (blue ,green, yellow, ect) and it could pass for a regular hull color unless you were a few inches away examining it. You really should consider the impact on resale of a bottom painted sport boat, though.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VC-17 will give you the flattest possible bottom paint but it is not recomended for salt water. I've put it on a lot of our charter boats here when gas started to climb it increased there performance over ablatives. I suggest if your going thru the hassle of bottom paint applying a barrier coat before will not only help with adhesion but osmosis as well. Start working out now sanding the bottom of your boat will take guts, determination, and elbow grease avoid no sand primers if at all possible yes its an easy way out but I have seen to many the paint has started to fall off.