Notices

transom replace

Old 01-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

just to clarify you dont need glass between the wood if you are using epoxy but if using poly or vinyl you do need a layer of ounce and a half mat. As Jamie stated above do your edge work with a mixture of cabosil and whatever resin you choose. I still use a layer of eight ounce plain weave between the wood when using epoxy though, not sure if its necessary or not but i doubt it would hurt. I just finished a transom in a 31 Excal and i took a ton of pics during the process, I'll see if i can get something up. It was just a transom working around good stringers. I had enough room to get the full pieces in but if i have to piece it in i like the three layers of half inch mentioned by RC. I call it the race lay-up
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 01-24-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Glassdave: Have you ever heard of putting an ash lining into the transom? Its supposed to mitigate water intrusion.

I have heard about this being done to apache's but never got any real confirmation. There was a little gelcoat that chiped off my transom by the trailer hookups and it has exposed what appears to be a black layer of ash lining. Pretty much like you would expect it to look like.......black, sandpaper texture.

Have you ever come across this stuff for sale? Seems like a cool idea that nobody has thought about when redoing their transoms.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
I had enough room to get the full pieces in but if i have to piece it in i like the three layers of half inch mentioned by RC. I call it the race lay-up
Its bomber!.......
Old 01-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

J-Bonz, Glassdave, my purple Pantera friend in S. Fla (hope to meet you and all the Miami boys someday), Lakeside, and all others, thanks for all the great advice. I'll post pics when I'm done of all the work in the future (might have a gas tank coming out too.) Thanks again, Nick.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by no limits
my purple Pantera friend in S. Fla (hope to meet you and all the Miami boys someday), Thanks again, Nick.
I dont travel much outside of Sunny South Fl, but if ya ever get down, I'll give ya the hell ride out Boynton inlet:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IwLxaF1mK0drink:
Old 01-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Glassdave: Have you ever heard of putting an ash lining into the transom? Its supposed to mitigate water intrusion.

I have heard about this being done to apache's but never got any real confirmation. There was a little gelcoat that chiped off my transom by the trailer hookups and it has exposed what appears to be a black layer of ash lining. Pretty much like you would expect it to look like.......black, sandpaper texture.

Have you ever come across this stuff for sale? Seems like a cool idea that nobody has thought about when redoing their transoms.
i havnt heard of that before but they tried all kinds of stuff back then. when you say you ash as in the wood? It looks like black sand paper? interesting . . . .

The biggest defense against water intrusion is the quality of the work and at the very least a good vinylester resin. When i do transoms and stringers i fully encaplulate every exposed square inch. I treat the area around the bilge drain in a way that does not expose the bottom edge of the transom to the hole being drilled, even through holes for water drained in the stringers are oversized and encapsulated with glass within the hole. The transom assembly cut out gets special attention as well, i usually do the through hole slightly larger and then put down two layeras of 1708 around the perimeter and finish smooth. While rigging also make sure each and every mountong bolt or rigging screw gets sealed with a good quality marine silicone (not 5200). I take great care to seal any wood 100% and make sure water cannot get to it. It can get in through the smallest hole and can go undetected a drop at a time for years.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Registered

i havnt heard of that before but they tried all kinds of stuff back then. when you say you ash as in the wood? It looks like black sand paper? interesting . . . .

The biggest defense against water intrusion is the quality of the work and at the very least a good vinylester resin. When i do transoms and stringers i fully encaplulate every exposed square inch. I treat the area around the bilge drain in a way that does not expose the bottom edge of the transom to the hole being drilled, even through holes for water drained in the stringers are oversized and encapsulated with glass within the hole. The transom assembly cut out gets special attention as well, i usually do the through hole slightly larger and then put down two layeras of 1708 around the perimeter and finish smooth. While rigging also make sure each and every mountong bolt or rigging screw gets sealed with a good quality marine silicone (not 5200). I take great care to seal any wood 100% and make sure water cannot get to it. It can get in through the smallest hole and can go undetected a drop at a time for years.
Dave, what about using 4200? I like it much better!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

4200 is good, i just dont like how permanent 5200 can be. it does have its place though.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:08 AM
Registered

4200 is good, i just dont like how permanent 5200 can be. it does have its place though.
For filling teeth.............,