wet sanding with a DA? >

wet sanding with a DA?

Notices

wet sanding with a DA?

Old 02-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wet sanding with a DA?

I wet sanded a friends boat last year by hand and it turned out well, but I plan to sand my boat this year and I am interested in any tips, tricks or advice on wet standing using a DA sander. Is there anything special I need, or just a regular sander is ok? I really think my arms will thank me for using the DA.
Thanks for any help.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rumrunner29
I wet sanded a friends boat last year by hand and it turned out well, but I plan to sand my boat this year and I am interested in any tips, tricks or advice on wet standing using a DA sander. Is there anything special I need, or just a regular sander is ok? I really think my arms will thank me for using the DA.
Thanks for any help.
use a higher grit paper than you would use if you were doing it by hand. Make sure your DA pad uses the hook and loop style pads and not adhesive.

Make sure your DA is high quality with adjustable speeds so you can slow it down

Have fun
Old 02-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a good friend that is the head painter with the local Chevy dealership in town. He uses a special pneumatic jitterbug palm sander with a hose that you drop into a bucket of soapy water and it keeps the surface wet for you. It works perfect every time. You might want to look into one of those if you are doing your whole boat.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Registered

I do have one question, how do you keep the pad wet and do you just change it when it becomes full of gelcoat? When I did it by hand, I just dipped the pad in the bucket cleaned it off and went right back to sanding.

Any suggestions on a good DA sander?
Old 02-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Registered

Most water sanders use a small water line going from a hose connection etc., to the sander itself to keep it wet.

Just watch that air hose and/or water line that is going to the sander!

You can't let it "drag" along any surface of the boat while sanding, especially when you are doing the top side of the boat, or it will leave some pretty good scratches or marks.

Either way you do it, color sanding and buffing out a boat of any size is a good deal of work for sure!
Old 02-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Registered

I forgot to add that you might want to get ahold of GlassDave on OSO as he is for sure a total PRO when it comes to this, and he has also done tons of boats...

I have gotten some great tips from him!
Old 02-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Yeah, I was hoping Glassdave might chime in here sometime.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Registered

He might have gone to Miami!
Old 02-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Rumrunner, what kind of pad did you use?
Old 02-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Registered

The sander that Gimme Fuel is talking about is a Hutchins Waterbug. It has been around quite a while. The current technology is the hook and loop system. Make sure you use an interface pad.(goes between the DA pad and the sandpaper) Just use a hose turned down to a trickle to keep it wet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.