Notices

Buffers?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Does anyone make an air driven buffer?
Wouldnt that be a lot lighter and safer for working around water for the inwater stuff ??
Usually the air buffers need a big compressor to keep up with them.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by c_deezy
Usually the air buffers need a big compressor to keep up with them.
Ya, a very large air supply is generally necessary for a tool such as a buffer or DA.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Registered

Used a few air buffers and I hate them. Just a tad lighter but not much, takes ALOT of air to run not to mention the hose gets annoying and in the way compared to a cord. When working on docks I just make sure there are no bad spots on my cord and drape the cord (plug area) over my shoulder so it dont fall in the water.

Never used or heard of the Flex. Had a Dewalt and Makita and now got an offbrand off Ebay for $50-60. Variable speed and just as powerfull as the high dollar ones. I can't tell a difference and been using it since 2007-2008. About 30 boats a year minimum and not a problem yet.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:20 AM
Registered

Griots garage has a 6" random orbital that im using and is light weight and works really well...not too cheap but is high quality....check it out
Old 03-02-2011, 06:50 AM
Registered

I purchased the FLEX dual action buffer this year. Overall, the buffer is built to last, but I am not 100% satisfied with the results. I purchased it with the 105 and 205 Meguir's polish and then a sealent. The boat looks good, but it still does not get the fine little scratches out. I wanted my boat to be like a mirror and have no defects. I think it is the 105 and 205 Meguir's that is the problem. I maybe using the wrong pad. I use the white county pad. Maybe I would get better results with wool. I just don't know. I am starting to think that maybe I should have purchased the regular orbitor rather than the dual action. A little too late now.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance
I purchased the FLEX dual action buffer this year. Overall, the buffer is built to last, but I am not 100% satisfied with the results. I purchased it with the 105 and 205 Meguir's polish and then a sealent. The boat looks good, but it still does not get the fine little scratches out. I wanted my boat to be like a mirror and have no defects. I think it is the 105 and 205 Meguir's that is the problem. I maybe using the wrong pad. I use the white county pad. Maybe I would get better results with wool. I just don't know. I am starting to think that maybe I should have purchased the regular orbitor rather than the dual action. A little too late now.

Get a wool pad, variable speed buffer and buy some Aqua Buff 2000 to get all the fine scratches out. Aqua buff is some really nice stuff. Then follow up with a hand wax of your favorite stuff. And make sure when you wash your boat after every trip, your using a soap that dosent strip the wax right back off.