Black FG - pros & cons

Notices

Black FG - pros & cons

Old 03-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Black FG - pros & cons

I've been after the asthetic look of carbon-fiber for awhile, but simply had no need for it's structural benefit or could justify paying the high cost just for its good looks. I'm sure this has been around, but I'm just now becoming aware of it "Black FG or for that matter colored FG"........... Can anybody share their experience with using it? ........does it replicate well all the shine & sparkle that the twill weave of carbon-fiber has? ...Got a few things on my Mag (dash panel, deck insert) I'd like to showcase in a carbon- fiber like way.....Also, is it finished in a specific high gloss resin? -or- reg. clearcoated?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Dont bother with black FG it only looks like CF when its on the roll and dry plus it is not near as conformable as a nice twill weave carbon. I use it only as a colored back up laminate behind real carbon. You can use clear Silmar resin with carbon if you are looking for an easier more workable system then epoxy, i use it all the time with good results. Heres a dash i did in 2x2 twill carbon with a clear gelcoat window in the mold and Silmar resin. The black FG turns to a black opaque-ish featureless laminate when wetted out, very little of the pattern is visable when cured.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...s-dvc00851.jpg

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...s-dvc00853.jpg

cant post pics from my home pc for some reason tonight, some kinda error.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dave,
I compared your finished CF panel to one done elswhere in blk FG and there's really no comparison. The blk FG does seem muted and void of dimensional sparkle once it's laminated..........like you said, on the roll it would appear just like CF, but that's where the comparison ends.......Thanks for the advice!.....Since there seems to be no substitute for the real thing, what do you recommend for a triangular insert on a Mag Sport? it is a solid 1/4" triangular panel and I would like to drape it with CF twill weave such as the picture you have shown.........What oz. weight should I use?..........Is it best to tuck under the insert and laminate -or- is it cut to the edge perimiter?.......Also, forgot to mention the panel is 10'-1" Long overall.......... width of 47" wide that tappers to 3" at the other end.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:00 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it is still not carbon fiber, but it is a lot less expensive & can look pretty good. Maybe not exactly as good as the CF, because it is a different material.

I guess it depends on how & where you really want to use it. I have some in our shop that we have been messing around with for a while. It is kind of cool in its own way.. Especially if you dont want or cant use the vinyl graphic cf prints..

It also does not have any more strength than standard fiberglass of the same weight.. So it is certainly not s structural substitute for the CF, it just sort of comes close to looking like it for less materials cost..

Hope it helps.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 03-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by scippy
Dave,
I compared your finished CF panel to one done elswhere in blk FG and there's really no comparison. The blk FG does seem muted and void of dimensional sparkle once it's laminated..........like you said, on the roll it would appear just like CF, but that's where the comparison ends.......Thanks for the advice!.....Since there seems to be no substitute for the real thing, what do you recommend for a triangular insert on a Mag Sport? it is a solid 1/4" triangular panel and I would like to drape it with CF twill weave such as the picture you have shown.........What oz. weight should I use?..........Is it best to tuck under the insert and laminate -or- is it cut to the edge perimiter?.......Also, forgot to mention the panel is 10'-1" Long overall.......... width of 47" wide that tappers to 3" at the other end.
I think the opaque nature of fiberglass becomes the dominant affect with black FG and for that reason diminishes the look substantially. I've not had any luck with that stuff other then a backing laminate. For the insert on a Mag deck i suppose there's a few ways to go about it most of which require it to be bagged though. You could either recess the existing panel about a quarter inch or so and bag up a large flat panel then cut it to fit or make a quickie mold for a whole new piece then bag a cored piece in the mold. There is another process for using CF where you can wet layup up what you have then build up the surface with a clear gelcoat and block/fair that out and buff it. Tremendous amount of work but is do-able and the carbon stands up quite a bit highlighting the twill weave. Either way ya got your work cut out for ya, there may be some pre made stuff out there but i haven't seen any panels that big.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
I think the opaque nature of fiberglass becomes the dominant affect with black FG and for that reason diminishes the look substantially. I've not had any luck with that stuff other then a backing laminate. For the insert on a Mag deck i suppose there's a few ways to go about it most of which require it to be bagged though. You could either recess the existing panel about a quarter inch or so and bag up a large flat panel then cut it to fit or make a quickie mold for a whole new piece then bag a cored piece in the mold. There is another process for using CF where you can wet layup up what you have then build up the surface with a clear gelcoat and block/fair that out and buff it. Tremendous amount of work but is do-able and the carbon stands up quite a bit highlighting the twill weave. Either way ya got your work cut out for ya, there may be some pre made stuff out there but i haven't seen any panels that big.
Scippy - Dave
At one time, the U.S Companies (Nelco Laminates - Isola Laminates) that supply e- glass laminates for the Printed Circuit board industry would make black or blue or red Laminates. We mostly used what they called natural. you could get the sheets in thickness from 0.062" (1/16") up to 0.125"(1/8") and some times even 0.250" (1/4")
They were laminated in large presses and the sheet sizes were up to 12 feet long. and 50 inch wide.
Most times they would come with a copper clad on one or both sides , but it was also available as unclad sheets.
the thickness tolerances were something like +/- 0.005" across the sheet
they may still make some on speical order.
we used some black for PC boards,, but most times to make custom plaques with gold plating finishes.
If you want i can get you some phone numbers to call and see if they could make you a sheet?

Thank you
jim
Old 03-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dammmagnum
Scippy - Dave
At one time, the U.S Companies (Nelco Laminates - Isola Laminates) that supply e- glass laminates for the Printed Circuit board industry would make black or blue or red Laminates. We mostly used what they called natural. you could get the sheets in thickness from 0.062" (1/16") up to 0.125"(1/8") and some times even 0.250" (1/4")
They were laminated in large presses and the sheet sizes were up to 12 feet long. and 50 inch wide.
Most times they would come with a copper clad on one or both sides , but it was also available as unclad sheets.
the thickness tolerances were something like +/- 0.005" across the sheet
they may still make some on speical order.
we used some black for PC boards,, but most times to make custom plaques with gold plating finishes.
If you want i can get you some phone numbers to call and see if they could make you a sheet?

Thank you
jim
Jim,

I've seen now a few example's of colored FG & Blk FG and they do not come close to what I'm looking for in the look & dept that only CF (2over2) twill weave has. Dave posted a picture of a CF panel he did which look's great. Until I see a colored e-glass as good (which I haven't so far) carbon-fiber would be my only choice now for the deck inlay. I'm also aware of the complexities involved.....If for best results it would require bagging or infusion then it would be best left to the professionals..........Now, first I need to shop around for a source for the CF ............any recommends?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by scippy
Jim,

I've seen now a few example's of colored FG & Blk FG and they do not come close to what I'm looking for in the look & dept that only CF (2over2) twill weave has. Dave posted a picture of a CF panel he did which look's great. Until I see a colored e-glass as good (which I haven't so far) carbon-fiber would be my only choice now for the deck inlay. I'm also aware of the complexities involved.....If for best results it would require bagging or infusion then it would be best left to the professionals..........Now, first I need to shop around for a source for the CF ............any recommends?
Hello Scippy

Not a problem with the black e-glass

The only place that sents me any information on CF is a place called Fiber Glast
www.fiberglast.com
There are several companies that make CF and am sure you could contact them and they may be able to help with the lay up of the insert/inlay
try Carbon Fiber US

Am sure that Glass Dave would have a lot more places to get CF then I would
Its too bad you couldn't get some one to press laminate the CF as it would be smooth, flat and very tight thickness contol . the problem is that most places that deal in CF only laminate in a press and make smaller sheets and its not cheap

That will make for a cool deck insert/inlay.

Thank you
Jim
Old 03-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Thanks for the info Jim, fiberglast has some cool stuff.

Hows this for cool . . . . . . black carbon fiber diamond plate. I have been messing with this since last summer, haven't posted any pics yet though. I can do up to a four by eight sheet, I use it for general rigging and step/cover plates usually i do it in white. Pics dont really do it justice for some reason a cell phone cam pics up these weird reflections that arent visible to the naked eye, looks pretty cool though and is something different.
Attached Thumbnails Black FG - pros & cons-2011-03-09_12-32-38_309.jpg  
Old 03-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
Thanks for the info Jim, fiberglast has some cool stuff.

Hows this for cool . . . . . . black carbon fiber diamond plate. I have been messing with this since last summer, haven't posted any pics yet though. I can do up to a four by eight sheet, I use it for general rigging and step/cover plates usually i do it in white. Pics dont really do it justice for some reason a cell phone cam pics up these weird reflections that arent visible to the naked eye, looks pretty cool though and is something different.
Dave,

No Problem, Fiberglast sends me messages all the time about some the neat stuff they are doing, and also has some nice bookelts on how to dio things in FG etc. just got a message on a sale on Gel guns.

Your Diamond plate CF is way cool and you can do a good size sheet too. Wonder how it would look as a cockpit floor?

Thank you
Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.