Transducer removal >

Transducer removal

Notices

Transducer removal

Old 03-22-2011, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Transducer removal

I have my boat off the trailer and want to get rid of an old thru hull transducer. It protrudes a bit (1/8-1/4") wearing my soon to be replaced bunks. Not to mention it has to cause some drag in the water.

It doesn't leak(that I know of) but have to believe a puck riding on the bunk under all that weight is a problem waiting to happen. It feels Very solid but...

First idea is to leave the transducer in place and fill the top w/fiberglass and resin, grind bottom level and a bit beyond to allow for a little filler. Grind top off level to bilge and fill again and cover w/a sheet of glass cloth.

Second idea is to cut out entire transducer and start from scratch. This is a bit intimidating to me but I have done quite a bit of fiberglass work over the years on cars and bikes. I just don't like the idea of cutting a 3 inch hole in the bottom of my boat this close to boating season.

I have numerous chips and gouges I want to fill and touch up while the boat is on blocks. I'm redoing my trailer and want to take care of this while I'm at it.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Mark
Old 03-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Transducers are either plastic or bronze. I believe either of the two methods you suggest will do the job. If you remove it drill a pilot hole in the center of the unit and use a hole saw to remove it then plug the hole.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks VV,
This one is plastic. I'd prefer to leave it in place and fiberglass over it. Something about cutting a hole in the bottom of my boat gives me the willys...
Thanks,
Mark