Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
How can I safely rub out boat with Decals/Stickers? >

How can I safely rub out boat with Decals/Stickers?

Notices

How can I safely rub out boat with Decals/Stickers?

Old 04-27-2011, 02:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have had very good results using 3M finesse-it II glaze. Apply with a heavy duty polisher 0-4000 RPM with a 10 inch diameter cotton wheel.

Run at 1000 rpm to cover about 2 sq. ft. area at a time, then increase to about 2500 rpm to polish.

Do not use much pressure and should not damage graphics. I always reduce pressure as I go over graphics, never had a problem.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by TC G
Original stock decals. Even have a couple of peices for color matching and what not. Thanks for all of the input guys I feel better now going at it.

Ed, I may see you in the bay this year. I see you're from Traverse.
Yes, I'll look for you. We pulled the boat out of winter storage this morning. Lots of wax on/wax off ahead.
ed
Old 04-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would use a high quality masking tape to tape off your graphics, then let it rip with the polisher. This way your graphics are safe. It only cost about $9.00 a roll for a good roll. I use 3M Green Painters tape. But The Blue 3M tape (available at Lowes or Home Depot) will as well.

Like this (I did this in order to wetsand and polish):

Last edited by low_psi; 05-01-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by TC G
Original stock decals. Even have a couple of peices for color matching and what not. Thanks for all of the input guys I feel better now going at it.

Ed, I may see you in the bay this year. I see you're from Traverse.
Fountain never used vinyl graphics. Everything was painted on. So, you must have aftermarket vinyl on there - even though it matches an available factory pattern.

As others have said, masking it is cheap insurance. I've had some vinyl graphics that you could buff like hell and not disturb. Others (Sea Ray notably) took no more than a light hit from a foam pad on a rotary to burn through. When in doubt, mask.