Painting cockpit floor >

Painting cockpit floor

Notices

Painting cockpit floor

Old 04-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Painting cockpit floor

Is awgrip durable enough to paint a cockpit floor? Or is there something better?
Old 04-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like http://www.durabakcompany.com/ I've used it on many work boats, very durable.. Depends on the look you want..
Old 04-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Registered

How does that feel on the bare foot looks like you would get good footing on it but does it hurt your feet?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Registered

I have not tried it with bare feet, I have only applied it to workboat decks and surfaces. It has rubber suspended particles in the paint and doesn't look like it would be all that bad on the feet, I really like it for its waterproofing properties also and will probably do my fishing boat with the stuff. They also make a smooth version which I have not used yet.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awlgrip is very very durable... i have used it on many floors and never even scratched it...
Old 05-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Registered

I just did mine with Sea Hawk Tuff stuff primer ( great products) and interlux perfection 2-part paint. It will be finished with Kiwi-grip on top of the perfection for anti-skid purposes and the easy of touch-up.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

a big factor in floor durability is prep. Make sure it is very very well sanded and it doesn't hurt to use an adhesion promoter either
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Registered

I've never used awlgrip, but have used imron single stage, both with and without flattening agent, rolled / brushed on. I've had great luch with interlux "intergrip" additive on decks - tiny clear plastic spheres that if added to the paint (AFTER adding catalyst) and allowed to soak for a short bit to soak up paint. it gives the paint a nice, even non skid surface that won't discolor, etc... like sand or rubber additives can.

As mentioned above, with propper / meticulous prep, it makes a very durable surface.

a thought, while I wouldn't hesitate to use awlgrip, polyester urethanes like awlgrip aren't quite as hard / durable once the surface is broached (as in after wetsand or wear on it a bit), acrylic urethanes like imron don't have quite as hard an outer surface initially, but do not lose durability when the initial surface is broached... while I've no evidence or first hand experience to say this, imron might be a little better for a cockkpit than awlgrip for this reason.

gelcoat is of course hard to beat in terms of durability... Just sayin...

Hope this is helpful
Old 05-07-2011, 06:33 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I used this over my Lonseal Lonwave floor in my old PowerPlay after talking to an Interlux rep:

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/diy/pr...es/search.aspx

I used the two part Perfection for a glossy look, it looked great and wore well. I wouldn't use the glossy for a flat surface but for a Loncoin or Lonwave it was the right application. It chipped when I dropped an anchor on it but I'm not sure what wouldn't, a quick touch-up and back in business.

Dave is right though, prep like crazy and prime if required. As in any paint job, the easy part is the application, the work is in the prep.

Last edited by Indy; 05-07-2011 at 06:36 AM.