Painting caulk/sealant >

Painting caulk/sealant

Notices

Painting caulk/sealant

Old 05-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting caulk/sealant

My Donzi 22zx has a yellow dingy bead of caulk where the cockpit liner meets the dash. I'm not sure if it's 5200 or what but it's really hard and I cant remove it. Nothing I've tried will clean or whiten it at all. I want to paint it gloss white but I'm not sure what to use.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Did you try softscrub with bleach?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:41 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

i think thats a bead of filler Donzi uses to bond those two pieces together. They do a half azz job on that joint and i've redone about a dozen of them. Not much you can do with it short of paint if its the one i'm thinking of.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-18-2011, 06:22 AM
Registered

Yeah it's pretty crappy looking. Some parts are horribley uneven and roughly finished. It's around the cabin door where the dash mounts off of the forward vertical part of the cockpit liner. What kind of paint should I use? Anything easily available in a smaller amount?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Registered

I would use automotive single stage urethane and a cheap harbor freight "air brush" for this kind of thing.

Dupont Nason line holds up fairly well under the sun and is really easy to use. you can probalby get a pint plus hardener and reducer for 50 ish and another 10 for a wanna be air brush. wear a respirator - carbon and particulate filter combined...
Old 05-18-2011, 05:25 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

actually heres a little trick for touching up gel with automotive paints. Use PPG's Omni MTK single stage or there Shop Line AU series. These urethanes fade at about the same rate as gel. Older gels also lack real hard gloss and these cheaper finishes mimic gel pretty good. Its a good substitute to get you through a season. The blend nicely but only use them for small stuff and no overall resprays. Donz's gel white is PPG's 90150 from their fleet white book, at least it is when new but this will be very close. I rarely have to adjust that color when touching up Donzi's
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Registered

Ok so I thought this was gonna be easy. I started looking closer at this strip of filler and someone has tried to cover it up with some kind of silicon that has gotten kinda mildewy. I'm sure if it's silicon or what but it's kinda soft. I can try to scrape it off but how can I make sure I get it all so the paint will stick?