Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Couple of problem areas, Glassdave please advise! >

Couple of problem areas, Glassdave please advise!

Notices

Couple of problem areas, Glassdave please advise!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Couple of problem areas, Glassdave please advise!

I have two spots on the Skater that Im starting to wonder about. I was going to wait til the fall re-rig to address these two issues but they seem to be getting a little worse.

The first picture is the bow eye inside the tunnel. It pulled itself forward and up into the tunnel area on the trip home from Florida. If you poke around in the exposed wood, its black and soft. But if you tap on the glass surrounding it, it sounds solid and hard. Is this something I should be worried about if Im not trailering the boat? Or is it something I should go ahead and get taken care of? Could i fill in the exposed areas just to keep more water from getting in?

The second picture is a crack where the outboard mount is on the starboard side. It was a tiny hairline crack when I got it, now its actually cracked all the way through. It appears to ONLY be on the deck, not the hull.. But theres a lot of weight hangin off the back of this thing! Advise?!
Attached Thumbnails Couple of problem areas, Glassdave please advise!-boweye.jpg   Couple of problem areas, Glassdave please advise!-transom.jpg  
Old 06-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222
I have two spots on the Skater that Im starting to wonder about. I was going to wait til the fall re-rig to address these two issues but they seem to be getting a little worse.

The first picture is the bow eye inside the tunnel. It pulled itself forward and up into the tunnel area on the trip home from Florida. If you poke around in the exposed wood, its black and soft. But if you tap on the glass surrounding it, it sounds solid and hard. Is this something I should be worried about if Im not trailering the boat? Or is it something I should go ahead and get taken care of? Could i fill in the exposed areas just to keep more water from getting in?

The second picture is a crack where the outboard mount is on the starboard side. It was a tiny hairline crack when I got it, now its actually cracked all the way through. It appears to ONLY be on the deck, not the hull.. But theres a lot of weight hangin off the back of this thing! Advise?!
both of those most certainly will need attention. The bow eye could probably go the season but the core around it will need to be redone for sure and its basically worthless for strapping the boat to the trailer there or atleast heavily compromised. The transom on the other had is definitely an issue you need to keep an eye on. Looks like you have the start of some internal problems. Sorry for the doom an gloom but i would be careful with it till you get a chance to correct those. Neither of those can be repaired superficially and anything you put on it for now will just make the actual repair more difficult to get at.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately thats the ONLY point on the boat to strap to in the front. I marked the ends of the crack on the rear deck with permanent marker. Ill be able to tell if it gets any further. It doesnt look like theres really any place for it to go. Its almost like the outboard clamp was tightened and it cracked the surface, but I see some other issues in the back end that need some attention too..

Ill keep an eye on it and move them to the top of the list for repairs.. Thanks man!