Boat wrap, gelcoat, paint...? >

Boat wrap, gelcoat, paint...?

Notices

Boat wrap, gelcoat, paint...?

Old 06-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat wrap, gelcoat, paint...?

Just wanted to get some opinions on which would be better, factoring in both durability and pricing, on either wrapping a boat versus colored gel coat (if possible) or paint?

Last edited by jctexas07; 06-25-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jctexas07
Just wanted to get some opinions on which would be better, factoring in both durability and pricing, on either wrapping a boat versus colored gel coat (if possible) or paint?
Well wraps are awesome, but a little pricy but not even close to the cost of a custom paint job, wrap durability is good but make sure you have some bumpers to hang over the side when docking. i have had both custom pant and wrap a wrap will not have that glass shine but if you get tired of the graphics on a wrap you can just pull it off and thats a +++ i paint for a living so i like paint but for the money unless you know someone a wrap is the way to go and for the versus colored gel coat, that is a negative. hope i helped good luck. Here are some pics of before and after my wrap.
Attached Thumbnails Boat wrap, gelcoat, paint...?-226baja.jpg   Boat wrap, gelcoat, paint...?-226baja2.jpg  

Last edited by ridefast77; 06-26-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:26 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wrapped my boat about 2 yrs ago...Paid $2000 installed and have been very happy. Pros: Much cheaper than a similar paint job, easily removed if you decide you want to go with something different. Cons: It doesnt shine like a paint job, if you hit a dock or another boat the laminate can come off and there's not much you can do to repair.
If I buy another boat I would wrap it in a second...To me, its a great, cost effective way to go and you can get as crazy as you want with colors and design without any change in price. With paint, the cost increases significantly.

Before:

After:

Last edited by Powerquest_Baby!!; 06-26-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered

Sweet wraps. I definitely am going to do that for sure. What a difference.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Registered

I did mine too, the only problem is if you get a good scratch (I hit something at night) you might have to repair the whole stripe, wrap, ect..

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/p...pholstery.html
Old 06-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Registered

I would have to put my vote in for wraps as well. I do wraps and just wrapped my boat at the start of this season. No, it doesn't shine like clear coat, but I'll sacrifice that for the look of a $60,000 airbrushed paint job any day. It's like anything else as far as durability, just be careful and it'll be fine. You hit the dock just right on that new gelcoat and guess what- same result.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do a lot of tying up with other boats or docks, avoid a wrap.. Mines beat to hell from tying up at Party cove and next to my dock. if you DO go with a wrap, get some of those soft bumper covers or youll end up with some roughed up wrap!
Old 06-30-2011, 03:20 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Ridefast, I couldn't help but notice that your location says N.C. but your boat has PA reg and your splashing in at Anchor Marina at the Goose. Where did you get the wrap done, looks good!
Old 06-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I wouldn't do colored gel coat. Very costly and unneccessary IMO.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Registered

Excellent. I am definitely going to do a mild wrap. All of the wraps pictures here look awesome from before to after. No tying up...just launch, ride, and beach. I have aittle vinyl already over some of the.old school ugly colors they did in the mid nineties, but am ready to get a bit more modern with my colors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.