how to fill holes in transom for outboard conversion >

how to fill holes in transom for outboard conversion

Notices

how to fill holes in transom for outboard conversion

Old 07-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default how to fill holes in transom for outboard conversion

going form inboard to outboard and need advice on how to fill the transom holes. any thoughts???
Old 07-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think theres plenty of ways, either way youa re going to notice it. screw a peice of wood or steel on the inside then fill out from the outside
Old 07-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call a glass guy

Actually, it is not that bad, but kinda hard to explain in writing. Get ahold of Glassdave here on OSO, he can probably talk you thru it better than I can, 'cuz I am sure I will miss something typeing it out, he has done it WAYYYYY more than I have. But basically you are gonna make a plywood plug the thickness of the original transom, then glass it in inside and out being sure to have a tight fit on the plug, and beveling out the old glass to blend the new stuff in.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Registered

Default Fixx

seems your going to be hanging all that weight back their you will need to remove all the wood on the inner transom so you can apply multi layers of fiberglass for reinforcement along with lateral supports to carry the weight..
Old 07-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also going from I/O to outboard you would need to run some knees up the transom as well to tie it into the stringers better.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
seems your going to be hanging all that weight back their you will need to remove all the wood on the inner transom so you can apply multi layers of fiberglass for reinforcement along with lateral supports to carry the weight..

That would be best.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
Also going from I/O to outboard you would need to run some knees up the transom as well to tie it into the stringers better.

Knew I would forget something Yup, gotta add knees.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:37 AM
Registered

ok thats good info. i had talked to someone already and they said that making a tight fitting plug out of multiple layers of marine ply to fill the holes and installing "knees" would be a must.

how far up/back should the knees go? (i was thinking all the way up to the seam) and are they just glassed in or are there fasteners that should be used?

there is a good fiberglass guy not to far from here so i am considering having him do it....although i have done quite a bit myself in the past (installing new floors and fixing holes, etc....)

and how thick should they be? (multiple layers of marine ply??)
Old 07-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Registered

Default Fixx

Originally Posted by 2tonchevy
ok thats good info. i had talked to someone already and they said that making a tight fitting plug out of multiple layers of marine ply to fill the holes and installing "knees" would be a must.

how far up/back should the knees go? (i was thinking all the way up to the seam) and are they just glassed in or are there fasteners that should be used?

there is a good fiberglass guy not to far from here so i am considering having him do it....although i have done quite a bit myself in the past (installing new floors and fixing holes, etc....)

and how thick should they be? (multiple layers of marine ply??)
your best bet would be to find a boat like yours with outboards and see how that one was done..i have a tendency to over kill everything so if you want it to last over engineer it..
I would start by removing the old wood in the transom and go from their..i would also stick with vinyl ester (no wax)resin,almost as strong as epoxy but will chemically bond better then epoxy..Before you start applying the 1708 mat and resin make sure you have everything set in place to start laying it up..it will be stronger if you do everything at once..also the plywood your going to use,look at the side and count the plys,the more layers or plys the stronger the wood is..when you install the knees or lateral supports you will need to lay in some glass then set the knees in,lay in the tabs and make sure their are no voids under the joints(air pockets) this is why i say make sure everything fits perfect first,make sure all the glass is cut to shape and have it laid out so you can keep going and lay it all up at once.. and most inportant dont mix the resin to hot,it will shatter like glass if you add to much mek
Old 07-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
your best bet would be to find a boat like yours with outboards and see how that one was done..i have a tendency to over kill everything so if you want it to last over engineer it..
I would start by removing the old wood in the transom and go from their..i would also stick with vinyl ester (no wax)resin,almost as strong as epoxy but will chemically bond better then epoxy..Before you start applying the 1708 mat and resin make sure you have everything set in place to start laying it up..it will be stronger if you do everything at once..also the plywood your going to use,look at the side and count the plys,the more layers or plys the stronger the wood is..when you install the knees or lateral supports you will need to lay in some glass then set the knees in,lay in the tabs and make sure their are no voids under the joints(air pockets) this is why i say make sure everything fits perfect first,make sure all the glass is cut to shape and have it laid out so you can keep going and lay it all up at once.. and most inportant dont mix the resin to hot,it will shatter like glass if you add to much mek
ok just to make sure i understand you ........by "removing the wood from the transom" you mean from the inside? remove all the plywood and leave the fiberglass on the outside and replace the entire transom by bonding multiple sheets together with resin? then cut then install the bonded and cut to fit transom from the inside?

the transom on this boat is not rotten or damage din any way. ive never replaced a transom but am sure of my ability to learnand get it done so the work is not the problem, but if i dont have to install a completely new transom i would like to avoid it. but it is what it is.

there is a very accomplished fiberglass man close to me and i am going to approach him about it......WHAT WOULD A FAIR PRICE TO DO THIS JOB BE SO I KNOW WHAT TO CONSIDER RATIONAL???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.