Rough sanding....what's next?

Notices

Rough sanding....what's next?

Old 09-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Rough sanding....what's next?

I'm block sanding w/60 grit to remove alot of product (Poly fair) from the engine hatch I built. Can someone take me thru the steps involved after the rough sanding is done. how many sanding steps & grit sizes should there be before getting to primer quality?
Attached Thumbnails Rough sanding....what's next?-img_7479.jpg  
Old 09-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a few different ways to go. You could work your way up to a 180 scratch and straight to a urethane high build primer or skim coat the hatch with duraglass and block again with 80-180. I wouldn't bother priming anything until you step yourself up to at least a 180 scratch. Hope I helped and good luck
Old 09-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

scippy,if its straight you can get some duratec white primer and spray 3-4 coats over it and knock it down with 80 then follow with 120 then 180,after blocked with 180 spray another coat of duratec then knock it down with 240 then go to 320 then paint,,if your going to gel it then you can just go over the 80 grit after its all block out and straight.. regular urathane primer dont go over bare fiberglass so well, duratec does and its like spraying on spot putty and its a heck of alot cheaper..
Old 09-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I heard about duratec ,Artie recommended their fairing & primer products. I used Merton's for all the materials on the hatch (V'ester, 1708 & poly fair) I don't own a compressor, would it be a disavantage to use Duratec primer if I couldn't spray it on?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Registered

Default Fixx

Originally Posted by scippy
I heard about duratec ,Artie recommended their fairing & primer products. I used Merton's for all the materials on the hatch (V'ester, 1708 & poly fair) I don't own a compressor, would it be a disavantage to use Duratec primer if I couldn't spray it on?
i perfer spraying it on,,on such a small area you may be able to get away with a wagner airless sprayer..you need toseal the fiberglass poars,duratec is good for that,,if you get the blue vynilester duratec its like spraying on bondo in a even coat tho..you can go to 150 mil thick with the stuff but you have to go over it with the white duratec also you you may just want to use the white duratec instead of the blue which you can still block out..you can also buff the primer to see how straight it is then dewax it and scuff over it then top coat it to match the boat..
Old 09-29-2011, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fixx,

Gonna head to Sears and get a price on an adequate paint spray system. Any suggestions on what the minimal should be when looking at compressors?...........heck, if I'm any good I have a whole 27' boat to do after the hatch is done!........Sounds like the white Duratec will work good.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:54 AM
Registered

Default fixx

Fixx,

Gonna head to Sears and get a price on an adequate paint spray system. Any suggestions on what the minimal should be when looking at compressors?...........heck, if I'm any good I have a whole 27' boat to do after the hatch is done!........Sounds like the white Duratec will work good.
check craigslist,,try to find a compressor witha minimum of 15 cfm, i have a older quincy 2 stage that is like 35 cfm but you wont need anything this big..but the duratec here
http://www.expresscomposites.com/duratec.html
they are the cheapest..
714-002 is the white primer
1799-051 ve blue primer which is the spray on spot putty lol
shelf life is 6 months so make sure you try to get all the work on the magnum done that you need to do first then spray everything at once..also make sure you have a good resperator,this stuff is catalised so it will stay in your lungs..
you will need a minimum of a 2.5 tip for the blue ve primer if you deside to use this product..
Old 09-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fixx,

would a 15 cfm compressor have enough capacity to spray the broad side of a 27' boat?........I'm thinking of doing it all myself. My boat sits in a concealed shelter & will be stationary for awhile sooooo, I have the place & time. I just need to see if I have the ability. The whole boat is rough and needs to be sanded and then faired. I've decided the most reasonable finish on the Mag would be to piant it. Using a primer (that's a bit forgiving) like Duratec may help me learn something & see if I have what it takes to go foward. Thanks for all the product leads & info.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Fixx,

would a 15 cfm compressor have enough capacity to spray the broad side of a 27' boat?........I'm thinking of doing it all myself. My boat sits in a concealed shelter & will be stationary for awhile sooooo, I have the place & time. I just need to see if I have the ability. The whole boat is rough and needs to be sanded and then faired. I've decided the most reasonable finish on the Mag would be to piant it. Using a primer (that's a bit forgiving) like Duratec may help me learn something & see if I have what it takes to go foward. Thanks for all the product leads & info.
yes 15 cfm will run a spray gun,remember all the newer guns are hvlp so they dont require as much cfm as the older guns..if you have the room for a 80 gallon tank compressor and its higher then 15 + cfm thease are the types of compressors that do not need to run all day using your air sanders..also when a compresson runs too long they create allot of moisture and if your not using a water seperator which i suggest you get or the water will end up in your paint job,,remember when george carter had all the problems with hig gelcoat and pin holes on his testorosa..the pin holes were from the moisture in the lines..
Old 10-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
yes 15 cfm will run a spray gun,remember all the newer guns are hvlp so they dont require as much cfm as the older guns..if you have the room for a 80 gallon tank compressor and its higher then 15 + cfm thease are the types of compressors that do not need to run all day using your air sanders..also when a compresson runs too long they create allot of moisture and if your not using a water seperator which i suggest you get or the water will end up in your paint job,,remember when george carter had all the problems with hig gelcoat and pin holes on his testorosa..the pin holes were from the moisture in the lines..
The FUJI HVLP Turbine seems to have it all built into one www.spraygunworld.com

Last edited by scippy; 10-02-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.