Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Modifying strakes on a 24x7 hull (24 Pantera)? >

Modifying strakes on a 24x7 hull (24 Pantera)?

Notices

Modifying strakes on a 24x7 hull (24 Pantera)?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The modified pad is finished!

The extended inner strakes are getting closer to paint as well. I built the strakes out of HD divinycell and a few layers of 300 (g/m2) mat. On the pic I have put on the first layer of epoxy filler.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking into doin my bottom also.( not my azz lol) my set of strakes near the keel stop about 2 ft before the transom. Would there be any benefit to extend them to the transom?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Registered

Looks awesome!!!! Cant wait to see if all this hard work pays off....
Old 01-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmadness
Looking into doin my bottom also.( not my azz lol) my set of strakes near the keel stop about 2 ft before the transom. Would there be any benefit to extend them to the transom?
It's is doubtful that extending them would provide any useful effect. Once you have reached that area of the hull they tend to only add resistance, with negligible contribution to increased lift.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarab63
Looks awesome!!!! Cant wait to see if all this hard work pays off....
Thanks!

Yeah, me too... Hopefully the attack angle is still enough - but if it isn't, it's pretty easy to shorten the strakes a bit.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Excellent thread! What does extending the inner strakes do for lift and ride? Did you make the pad larger for speed, handling or both?

Last edited by onesickpantera; 02-08-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
Excellent thread! What does extending the inner strakes do for lift and ride? Did you make the pad larger for speed, handling or both?
That - we'll see...

Hopefully the extended strakes will create more bow lift and also more overall lift.

The pad is not larger, it's actually smaller but lined up with the bottom and strakes. The original pad is angled since it starts about 3ft from the transom and gets 4" wide at the transom.

I painted the bottom yesterday but it still needs a couple more layers of paint before it's good enough.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Tomas what type primer & paint conbination are you using for the hull bottom?.....will the boat sit in the water for any period of time?
Bottom looks almost perfect in the pictue!........very nice work!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scippy
Tomas what type primer & paint conbination are you using for the hull bottom?.....will the boat sit in the water for any period of time?
Bottom looks almost perfect in the pictue!........very nice work!
I primed the rear portion of the bottom, where I did most of the grinding, with epoxy primer as a sanding filler. It will help protect the glass a bit but not much. I will never leave it in the water more than a couple days.

The paint is a Marine paint, Sigmadur 550 from Sigma Coatings that I was ordinated.

So far I'm very happy with the results.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:55 AM
KMP
Registered

Looks great. I also have a P&D, which (so far) only blueprinted the bottom taking out the hook as recommended by Joe N., (Pantera did not put the hook but P&D did). I am running a 540 NA engine with IMCO extension box and easlily hit 84 with 28 Bravo; rund smooth and controllable.

I did a strake extension on my 18 Donzi Classic and like the way it runs. I do not use tabs anymore and it sits on top of the chop a lot flatter at speed. Begreat to see how your project runs because I had considered extending the inside strakes on the P&D.

Kent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.