Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
replacing the transom in my 415 Stinger, looking for advice >

replacing the transom in my 415 Stinger, looking for advice

Notices

replacing the transom in my 415 Stinger, looking for advice

Old 11-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like you are handling it the right way...and those are cool boats !! friend had one a few years back..had 420's in it w/gen and A/C..good luck keep us posted ! Rob
Old 12-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I could sure use it. I'm one itching fool right now.

Anyway, I have almost all the wood chipped out of the transom. The wood is like rubber and it's very time consuming getting it out if the channel it is sitting in.

Speaking of the channel. Along the bottom of the hull and about 8 inches up each side there is a channel about 3/4" or so deep. It doesn't look built up by the local attachment of the transom, but looks like the hull itself.

Does this need to be ground down too? Dang I hope not that's a LOT of material.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 12-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Registered

A good place to buy cheap dust suits and other safety equipment is here: www.magidgloves.com

I usually got these ones:

http://www.magidglove.com/Magid-Econ...partmentId=219

They aren't the greatest but work decent. I got the xxl so I could tuck the legs into my shoes.

Any dust collection you can do at the source of your grinding will help too. One of those dust collectors at lowes or home depot will work decent as long as you put the suction hose in your dust stream or close to it. Even a shop vac will work, just make sure you use the disposable bag liners or you will trash your shop vac even quicker.

Last edited by c_deezy; 12-01-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Registered

DuDe WTF...Over? What happen to the rest? Had a bunch of really good info on here and it just stopped...UGHHH