Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Building a new engine hatch - any pointers? >

Building a new engine hatch - any pointers?

Notices

Building a new engine hatch - any pointers?

Old 11-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good prices too.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glassdave
That's pretty cool, I get a kick out seeing advanced do it youselfers think outside the box. I have been palying with Rhino for a couple years and that's a good way to use the program to your advantage by rolling out the surfaces. Nice work
Thanks GlassDave, compliment appreciated. I've read many of your threads and learned lots from them.

I'm pretty fast with Rhino, as I use it for the front end for most of my structural, lofting, hydrostatics and FEA programs. If anyone on here ever wants something modeled up, we can do that.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay so the basic structure of the hatch is built. I ended up going with a piece of 1/2 plywood with some 1x3 white oak bracing on the bottom. Now the next step is what to use for mat & resin? I would like to put only 1-2 layers of mat on the top side and then maybe 2-3 layers on the bottom tying all the supports into the plywood. The top side will be completely covered with an hatch pad so it doesn't need to be glass smooth, the bottom needs to look okay.

My thought is to use the 1708 mat as it comes highly recommended but not sure what I should use for a resin? Is there one that works particularly good with the biaxial mat?

Thanks
Jim

Old 12-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Registered

ttt
Old 12-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

I think Vinylester resin would be your best bet with the 1708, but for it to kick properrly it needs a work place temperature of atleast 70 degree's
Old 12-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scippy
I think Vinylester resin would be your best bet with the 1708, but for it to kick properrly it needs a work place temperature of atleast 70 degree's
Thanks!

I am building the hatch in a heated garage so keeping the building warm shouldn't be a problem. Have you used the vinylester resin before? How does it lay down? I need something that is going to give me the most rigidity when paired with the 1708. People will be walking, sitting on the hatch and I want to have very little flex!

Thanks
Jim
Old 12-11-2011, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 502ss
Thanks!

I am building the hatch in a heated garage so keeping the building warm shouldn't be a problem. Have you used the vinylester resin before? How does it lay down? I need something that is going to give me the most rigidity when paired with the 1708. People will be walking, sitting on the hatch and I want to have very little flex!

Thanks
Jim
Like yourself, I decided to build my own engine hatch (see post #10) I'm no pro, but I was pleased with the results of 1708 & vinylester resin. The only difference was I used 1/2" balsa core. The only ply I used was around the perimeter for some bite............seal the plwood first with resin (let it soak in good with a roller) let it dry overnight. Rough it up with 60 grit before you put down 2 layers of 1708 ....top & bottom.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by scippy
Like yourself, I decided to build my own engine hatch (see post #10) I'm no pro, but I was pleased with the results of 1708 & vinylester resin. The only difference was I used 1/2" balsa core. The only ply I used was around the perimeter for some bite............seal the plwood first with resin (let it soak in good with a roller) let it dry overnight. Rough it up with 60 grit before you put down 2 layers of 1708 ....top & bottom.
Sorry, missed your first post!

That hatch looks great! So you used 2 layers of 1708 on each side of that cover? Can you stand on it? How much does it flex?

I was thinking of going with the West system epoxy resin because it doesn't seem to be as sensitive to mild temperature variations during cure and isn't as toxic to work with. I also read that in the end it is stronger than a vinylester resin? It is a little more expensive than the vinylester resin but not too bad!

This is what I was looking at

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...5+Epoxy+Resin#
Old 12-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rottiguy
I had one made out of foam, only weighed like 70lbs. I could jump on it and it doesnt flex at all, very strong.
Have any pics of the hatch installed that we can see? Trusting that the hatch in your posted pic is for your 3100 AO, what is the "dip" in the forward area of the hatch?
Old 12-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 502ss
Sorry, missed your first post!

That hatch looks great! So you used 2 layers of 1708 on each side of that cover? Can you stand on it? How much does it flex?

I was thinking of going with the West system epoxy resin because it doesn't seem to be as sensitive to mild temperature variations during cure and isn't as toxic to work with. I also read that in the end it is stronger than a vinylester resin? It is a little more expensive than the vinylester resin but not too bad!

This is what I was looking at

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...5+Epoxy+Resin#
Yes 2 layers of 1708 top & bottom........remember, I course of1708 is conprised of 17oz. bi-axle & 8oz. Mat.....so, in actuality it's 8 total layers of glass used. I can stand on it and it doesn't flex.

I've used Epoxy & 17 oz. bi-axle to glass the hull & deck together. It is a stronger resin, better sealer for wood, has better temperture tolerance and better strenght ratio with less glass. It is expensive and you don't need 1708 .....17oz. bi-axle alone would work the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.