Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Building a new engine hatch - any pointers? >

Building a new engine hatch - any pointers?

Notices

Building a new engine hatch - any pointers?

Old 01-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
Thanks man!

I have spent many hours in my CAD software playing with different ram mounting options. I have settled on mounting it on the center stringer right between the engines. I am going to push on the cover were the recess is on the center support beam. You can see it in one of the earlier posts and in the CAD renderings. Where are you pushing yours from?
I am pushing from the wall behind the seat in front of my engines. I don't have any room between the exhaust to fit anything between them. These are the only pics I have on my computer. I will be out at the shop tomorrow and can get better pics. The white box in the first pic is where the ram mounts.
Attached Thumbnails Building a new engine hatch - any pointers?-ram.jpg   Building a new engine hatch - any pointers?-ram1.jpg   Building a new engine hatch - any pointers?-imag0531.jpg  

Old 01-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
I am pushing from the wall behind the seat in front of my engines. I don't have any room between the exhaust to fit anything between them. These are the only pics I have on my computer. I will be out at the shop tomorrow and can get better pics. The white box in the first pic is where the ram mounts.
Did you build that one piece hatch or did the panther come with it?

Do you know the open and closed dimensions of the ram?
Old 01-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
Did you build that one piece hatch or did the panther come with it?

Do you know the open and closed dimensions of the ram?
My boat came with the hatch.
Fully extended the ram is 42" from center of the holes and retracted it is 24.5". Here is a new pic from today.
Attached Thumbnails Building a new engine hatch - any pointers?-imag0742.jpg  
Old 01-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Hope you don't mind me asking why you want to go from two to one hatch?

I always liked the twin hatches and how it makes it easy to get to things in the back of the engine bays, just wondering why you are changing.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Hope you don't mind me asking why you want to go from two to one hatch?

I always liked the twin hatches and how it makes it easy to get to things in the back of the engine bays, just wondering why you are changing.
Great question! There are definitely pros and cons to either design. Most of my decision to go with a single hatch was purely esthetics!

I want a single hatch pad with the scarab beetle embroidered on it and didn't want a seam down the middle.

I want to install mirrors on the bottom side of the hatch to showcase the power plants.

I want to clean up the looks in general.

The current hatches were water logged anyway so it was time for a change.

You bring up some good points about getting to the back of the engines to work on them but I built a board that I use when I need to do this that lays over the top of the engine and allows me to access the transmission area.

If it turns out that I hate the single hatch then I will make new double hatches next winter! It has been a fun project making this one!!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Got you,

The beetle should look cool !
Old 01-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hinges

Has anybody ever played with the idea of hinging a single cover on both ends, and depending on which set of hinges are in, being able to lift the cover from either the front or the back. Seems I'm always taking my entire cover off to get to something in the rear of the boat.