Notices

glass dave

Old 11-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

cool . . . . . I'll even give an OSO discount and a free autographed copy to whoevers boats are in it. lol

Thanks DM Jim One of these days i hope to get my Mag Sport done

go me . . . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 11-18-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Don't forget the new grafix for the plumb crazy paint
Old 11-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Dave did you ever hear of a Brenner marine in the Toledo, Ohio area?.........wonder if there still around?........Curious to find some history on my boat ('76 mag 27 sport) was delivered new (to Brenner) and stayed in the Toledo area up until 6 or 7 yrs. ago.
White 27 sport with a funky plywood windscreen on a roller trailer... totally pilfered before coming east.....thought you might remember such an odd bird.........just curious.
As many have said already, "thanks for making it all seem doable!..........I'm all in when you get to your Mag sport.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Yep I remember seeing that boat setting out back just before they shut the old brenner building down.....the chinees bought the land,Brenner moved down river it's brenner 75 now.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Yea . . . . What he said
Old 11-19-2011, 08:18 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
A lot of shops have not survived and truth be told i have had my share of juggling matches but if ya do good work and keep yourself out of the corner you can keep busy. I was at the IBEX show a month or so ago and i realized something. While there may have been a drop in available work out there, there are fewer shops left to do them. I'm not breaking any records but i am pretty steady and have work scheduled through most of the winter. Florida would be great but i really like boating on the great lakes plus i need the six months off to fix all the stuff i broke in the summer lol.
I have had the pleasure of meeting Dave a few times in the past couple of years and I agree with the comments being made here about him.

This has been a dog eat dog business for many years with many players that survived only because of the volume of available work in the years prior to the current downfall. Now its down to the strong will survive and grow with the fact that most can not get loans on new boats they are repairing/upgrading their older boats and this has brought a lot of work in that we would have not seen in the past.

The boat part of my business has gotten so big in the last few years that this winter I am forced to give up the car repair and hotrod/vintage restoration parts of the business that has served me well over the past 30+ years.We just went through a 6 week shut down to renovate the shop to boats only but the biggest problem I am facing is finding GOOD qualified help that I do not have to babysit taking up all my time needed to get my work done. My work has become limited to after hours and weekends when the rest of the crew is gone home. We are only in November and it already feels like the May/June rush is on to get them done with more work coming in every day. The addition of a web site and advertising here and on other sites has helped for sure. Dave if you take this route be prepared to add on several employees and the headaches that come with them.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by brian41
I have had the pleasure of meeting Dave a few times in the past couple of years and I agree with the comments being made here about him.

This has been a dog eat dog business for many years with many players that survived only because of the volume of available work in the years prior to the current downfall. Now its down to the strong will survive and grow with the fact that most can not get loans on new boats they are repairing/upgrading their older boats and this has brought a lot of work in that we would have not seen in the past.

The boat part of my business has gotten so big in the last few years that this winter I am forced to give up the car repair and hotrod/vintage restoration parts of the business that has served me well over the past 30+ years.We just went through a 6 week shut down to renovate the shop to boats only but the biggest problem I am facing is finding GOOD qualified help that I do not have to babysit taking up all my time needed to get my work done. My work has become limited to after hours and weekends when the rest of the crew is gone home. We are only in November and it already feels like the May/June rush is on to get them done with more work coming in every day. The addition of a web site and advertising here and on other sites has helped for sure. Dave if you take this route be prepared to add on several employees and the headaches that come with them.
Brian its funny you say that, my auto side use to be about 50 or 60% of what i do, now i doubt its 5% at best. I dont pursue any car stuff anymore and just tend to past customers. You are also dead on as far as help goes, the long and short of it is my customers come here to have me work on their stuff and the bulk of it really cant really be farmed to help (at least in my eyes) and yes i have the May/June rush going as well lol in November. About six or seven years ago when we were doing a lot of auto dealer work i had five guys on, what a frikkin pain in the azz, never again. I spent my entire day dealing with spoon fed babies. Brian i think you and I are a lot alike in the fact that you actually still enjoy this biz despite its ups an downs and you still enjoy, well, being a boater. I approach each boat as if it were my own.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Good to hear Dave, and others that are busy. We are also busy here, hence why my boat is in Dave's shop now. I was too busy to attempt the glass and paint work. I made the right decision, it's folly to learn on a 38' boat. Dave would end up fixing it anyways, ha!

I have the same problem of finding qualified "hit the ground running" employees with relevant talent. Customers knocking on the door, no one to do the work!

I look forward to a visit in Toledo, let me know when you're near ready.

Pics of JBonz's boat?
Old 11-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without Glassdave on here I would have never attempted to fix my old Stinger.

It's nice to know folks who give back a little (or a lot in Dave's case) to the boating community.

Greg
Old 11-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by frickstyle
Good to hear Dave, and others that are busy. We are also busy here, hence why my boat is in Dave's shop now. I was too busy to attempt the glass and paint work. I made the right decision, it's folly to learn on a 38' boat. Dave would end up fixing it anyways, ha!

I have the same problem of finding qualified "hit the ground running" employees with relevant talent. Customers knocking on the door, no one to do the work!

I look forward to a visit in Toledo, let me know when you're near ready.

Pics of JBonz's boat?
had it outside today getting the shop ready to paint. Thats a cool little boat, he's got a ton of time in it. I'll get a thread going pretty shortly, might be kinda boring from my end though he did all the grunt work i just had to do some finesse-ing . If you would like to plan on coming over maybe first or second week of December that would be good.
Attached Thumbnails glass dave-2011-11-19_13-44-49_873.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.