Bilge paint recommendation >

Bilge paint recommendation

Notices

Bilge paint recommendation

Old 01-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waterboy222
I used the Rustoleum Enamel for "Farm Implements" from Attwoods.. Its cheap, hard as nails, glossy and THICK. It levels really well. But white is hard to find so you have to get "Ford White" which has a touch of gray and then add regular white enamel to it til you get the color you want. And yes, you roll it on. Wipe everything down REALLY good with acetone (wear disposable gloves) to get the oil, grease and wax off then roll this stuff on. If you're doing it with the engine in, make sure you get a variety of brushes, rollers and spongebrushes to get into all the tight spots.
prep and get that oil off is key , ill post an pic of it on my old fountain i did lasted great . couldnt believe it . i too heard of it on oso
Old 01-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Registered

Default hers a pic of the bilge

i added some concrete specles to ad a little extra .but youll see the results
Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you apply the speckles after you rolled it on?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Registered

yes quite easy . if id do it again i think id use a blow drier and softly blow them out of my hand . instead i actually blew small amopunts on the verticle surfaces .
Old 01-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

What would be best for a bilge (opposite to MCKILLOP) My bilge is withouit engines and freshly glassed after a transom replace......What would be a good choice to coat the bilge with other than gelcoat?........sorry MCKILLOP for the highjack!
Old 01-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy
What would be best for a bilge (opposite to MCKILLOP) My bilge is withouit engines and freshly glassed after a transom replace......What would be a good choice to coat the bilge with other than gelcoat?........sorry MCKILLOP for the highjack!

HAHA,no worries. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Registered

Default fixx

serrwin williams marine polyurthane marine coatings..its a 2 part system and is a semi gloss seems that you dont want it really shiny because the shinyer it is the more heat it reflects and can make the bilge hotter....they sell it at the sw stores and is about 110.00 for a gallon and 1 qt of hardener...
Old 01-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bilgecoat paint. Tough as nails and oil spills wipe right up, no staining.
Scrubbed with Dawn soap, scuffed up with sandpaper/scotchbright pads, wiped down with a prep cleaner (forget the name), rolled/brushed on 3 coats.
Attached Thumbnails Bilge paint recommendation-2-5-.jpg   Bilge paint recommendation-2-3-.jpg  
Old 01-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Registered

Any auto degreaser will work fine, they leave behind little residue when you rag on wet and dry right away. Does the bilge paint have a hardner or catalyst? Any paint with a hardner in it will be more durable then paint with out. I like the speckle paint looks awsome, breaks up the roughness of the compartment, nice work. Its nice to talk to guys that actually know something.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Registered

You could also try Duralux marine enamel - this is used on cruise ships and marine and industrial applications. It has a gloss but is inexpensive and easy to apply. Mine is holding up well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.