Bilge paint recommendation >

Bilge paint recommendation

Notices

Bilge paint recommendation

Old 01-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilge paint recommendation

I am wondering what you guys recommend for bilge paint? The engine is in the boat, so I would just be painting the side walls and transom. Any ideas? I would just want a bright white
Old 01-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Registered

Is the transom raw fiberglass or gelcoat? How about the side walls? Some pics of the area would help. Imron is a good choice but you will have alot of masking to do, single stage overspray is not easy to get off things. The room you will have to get a spraygun in there will also be a problem. The prep work will be alot and the cleaner you get everything will be the factor in the final product. Gelcoating would also work and can be brushed or rolled on but will not leave the smooth finish that you probably want. Primer/sealer will be needed if you go with a paint system.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88 LS 7
Is the transom raw fiberglass or gelcoat? How about the side walls? Some pics of the area would help. Imron is a good choice but you will have alot of masking to do, single stage overspray is not easy to get off things. The room you will have to get a spraygun in there will also be a problem. The prep work will be alot and the cleaner you get everything will be the factor in the final product. Gelcoating would also work and can be brushed or rolled on but will not leave the smooth finish that you probably want. Primer/sealer will be needed if you go with a paint system.

Thanks for the reply. The transom and walls are a raw painted fiberglass. I was hoping to just wipe it down with acetone really well and use a brush on type paint. I didn't want to get too involved, just trying to clean it up and make it look nice. Maybe that's a fantasy?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Registered

I take it that you can see the a rough glass look to the surface you want to paint? Its going to be alot of work to make that go away. You definatly can clean the surface the best you can and brush on a paint like imron or other single stage paint and it will look good, but not glossy smooth. Imron has great holdout and resistance to chemicals. Its definatly doable.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I would try the Brightside Polyurethane or the Bilge Coat and paint in on with a brush. More colors with the Polyurethane. The surface you are painting isn't smooth so you won't see any brush marks. Just clean everything real good and paint.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ryName=Topside Paint&category=34&refine=1&page=GRID
Old 01-10-2012, 01:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brite white rustolium , try it it works great
Old 01-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
I've heard that to. Isn't it Rustoliums industrial or epoxy or something like that? For machinery maybe? Havnt had the chance to check it out yet but i think it is one of the most recommended on these do it yourself forums.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88 LS 7
I take it that you can see the a rough glass look to the surface you want to paint? Its going to be alot of work to make that go away. You definatly can clean the surface the best you can and brush on a paint like imron or other single stage paint and it will look good, but not glossy smooth. Imron has great holdout and resistance to chemicals. Its definatly doable.
Thanks for the advise. I am not at all cocerned with a glossy finish, just want to clean and freshen up it up is all.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
I'll give that a try. Do they make a rustolium for a brush or roll on application?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the Rustoleum Enamel for "Farm Implements" from Attwoods.. Its cheap, hard as nails, glossy and THICK. It levels really well. But white is hard to find so you have to get "Ford White" which has a touch of gray and then add regular white enamel to it til you get the color you want. And yes, you roll it on. Wipe everything down REALLY good with acetone (wear disposable gloves) to get the oil, grease and wax off then roll this stuff on. If you're doing it with the engine in, make sure you get a variety of brushes, rollers and spongebrushes to get into all the tight spots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.