Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
painting a stripe...do i need to clear over it? >

painting a stripe...do i need to clear over it?

Notices

painting a stripe...do i need to clear over it?

Old 01-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

another question.....after i shoot the base white, do i need to let it cure completely before masking and shooting the stripe? also, if i need to let it cure do i need to abrate the base color before shooting the black stripe and if so, do i mask the stripe area and then sand it?

i really want to get this right.

thanks, rob.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Single stage is kinda finicky when re coating. I have had it lift bad when trying to push the time frames. Personally i would do the base color and sand/buff to completion then give it a week or so. When i do stripes in single stage i like to mask it off and sand/scuff up to the tape but you have to be real carefull with the edge. One other thing i do if i know exactly where my tape line is gonna be (like on a feature line) is sand the surface before taping with 1000 or so. Then tape the stripe and then scuff inside the layout, this technique helps keep a crisp tape line and also locks the edge down to at least a thousand grit and dont forget to use an adhesion promoter like Bulldog (very important step). When you sand and buff the stripe down the previous 1000 at the tape line will naturally go away.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
yep do the stripe with 3M green fine line (green works better on long straight stuff and the blue works better for high contour like flames). You will have a line but its not real bad if you knock it down with 1000 then 2000 and so on. You be surprised how level you can get it with good technique its hardly noticeable.

I know this probably isnt the industry standard but i pull all the tape with it still fresh like within ten minutes or so. Honestly i dont know if it makes any difference but i have done it that way for twenty years lol. I think it comes from my impatience to see what it looks like
Def. same thing i use. I also would pull the tape before dry if i was using a single stage paint. the material would have to flow out a little and tame the tape edge down some.....one would think.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

thanks guys!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

i pull all the tape with it still fresh like within ten minutes
I always do this with the clear, seems to flow just a bit so the edge isn't as hard.
Granted I haven't painted a thing in almost a year,,,,,,, suc#s
Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Man thats cool. . . . .i thought i was the only one do'in it lol course these days with the speed paint dries your pretty much out of danger in minutes.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Registered

If it were me doing the job i would spray the white and let it cure, sand it and let it sit and gas out, 1000 wet would be good. Then its preped for the stripe, spray the stripe and pull the tape, 3m blue fine line all the way, and then clear. Clear buffs better and doesnt chalk out over time in the uv, and you are hiding the tape line. If your a finicky person that will be buffing and waxing often i would clear, my 2 cents. Good luck..
Old 01-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 88 LS 7
If it were me doing the job i would spray the white and let it cure, sand it and let it sit and gas out, 1000 wet would be good. Then its preped for the stripe, spray the stripe and pull the tape, 3m blue fine line all the way, and then clear. Clear buffs better and doesnt chalk out over time in the uv, and you are hiding the tape line. If your a finicky person that will be buffing and waxing often i would clear, my 2 cents. Good luck..
Im a fan of clear also. Im fact i never use single stage unless im painting an old junk tracter for one of my farmer buddys. BC/CC is all i use on the cars,bikes,boats i paint.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Josh LaFountain
Im a fan of clear also. Im fact i never use single stage unless im painting an old junk tracter for one of my farmer buddys. BC/CC is all i use on the cars,bikes,boats i paint.
I would still use single stage, i would just clear it. I donot use single stage at the shop,bc/cc..
Old 01-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

i've used concept dcc in the past with no clear. it still shines like new after 10 years.