Drilling a hole thru the transom? >

Drilling a hole thru the transom?

Notices

Drilling a hole thru the transom?

Old 01-22-2012, 02:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Drilling a hole thru the transom?

Ok, here goes my first "How to".

Bought a new depth gauge with temp sensor. Copper tab of the temp sensor is about 7/16". How would one drill thru the transom, and how large of a hole to install? Does one need to seal the hole after drilling and prior to running tab thru hole? Should the hole be at a certain angle so the wire is not at a 90 deg angle after coming thru the transom? Hole above the water line, and run wire down outside of transom, or below water line, to minimize wire "look" on transom? If it needs to be sealed , what is the best product to use? It also will require a SS screw to hold tab against transom.

Secondly, the transducer will need to be mounted in the bilge. I have read enough posts on how to do this, but again, what is the best product or epoxy to use?

LEI / LST 3800 is the new to me product.

Thank you,
Old 01-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Yes drill above the water line. You can also get a stainless cover for the outside to shield it and fill it with a good marine silicone sealer.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry in advance to get off the subject a matter. Do the depth finders work when the boat is traveling on plane? My past experience was NO. they only worked when boat was traveling slow. That was my experience with previous boats. My current boat does not have one and if they work better now I would consider one.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by raytart
Sorry in advance to get off the subject a matter. Do the depth finders work when the boat is traveling on plane? My past experience was NO. they only worked when boat was traveling slow. That was my experience with previous boats. My current boat does not have one and if they work better now I would consider one.
My old depth gauge was Lowrance 3500, 192khz transducer. this did not work well at high speeds because of the step in front of transducer (air/bubbles). The new 200khz transducer says it will be ok speeds, but I doubt it. If you remember this in the summer I will have a better answer, when it is installed and given a high speed run. Best guess is no, at speed. Which I'm ok with, I boat on a lake and know where to stay, this works good when I want to stop and throw anchor, also along slips and docks.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Previous boat read just fine at any speed. Current one stops reading as soon as put in gear.

For a couple bucks for some resin from AutoZone, Menards or such, kinda hard to not coat those drilled holes in your transom. If you ever dealt with replacing a transom do to water......
If the cable is flexible enough to make a tight bend,a straight drilled hole will work if it will lay flat against the hull w/o force, then as mentioned, seal with sealer and cover with a clamshell.
Be sure you seal thoroughly the screw holes below water line with sealer.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 01-22-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by raytart
the shoot thru transducer are 50/50, all depends on your hull, seeing you have a heat i would think it would be the same as my rage, which is it works until you get on plane because of the step
Old 02-05-2012, 05:56 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

is there any way to mount it in front of the step? or will it be coming out of the water at speed?