Paint Advive Please??? >

Paint Advive Please???

Notices

Paint Advive Please???

Old 02-01-2012, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Advive Please???

I know it's not an offshore boat but this is my houseboat I bought last year. Inside is really nice but whoever ordered it from factory, had no taste. I've allready taken the vinyl NASCAR stickers off which was a pain. Next step is to paint the stripes when it gets warm. For ease and cost, I'm going to combine 2 of the stripes and have a thicker black strip, then thicker red stripe, and then one thin gold stripe to match my fountain. The top and bottom will mirror each other.

What kind of roll on paint should I use? Certain type of brush and roller should I use? Prep the surface suggestions? To combine two stripes, I'll have to sand the inside edges so I won't have a lip so what grit sand paper do I need?

Thanks Guys.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it metal or fiberglass? You're going to end up with a finish that looks rolled on unless you plan on rolling gelcoat and doing a lot of sanding to level it out. But if its textured aluminum, it will hide a LOT of your brush and roll marks. You could use a latex enamel like rustoleum. It levels out pretty well, it would be just like paint a room in your house. It wont give you a glossy automotive finish but will have some shine to it.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by waterboy222
Is it metal or fiberglass? You're going to end up with a finish that looks rolled on unless you plan on rolling gelcoat and doing a lot of sanding to level it out. But if its textured aluminum, it will hide a LOT of your brush and roll marks. You could use a latex enamel like rustoleum. It levels out pretty well, it would be just like paint a room in your house. It wont give you a glossy automotive finish but will have some shine to it.
It is Fiberglass. You can see the brush/roll marks some on the current stripes. Not bad tho.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Thats a good idea to combine the stripes. Will look less cluttered/busy. You can get good results rolling and tipping and will need a paint that stays open a while. I have not done that process but I'm sure theres a youtube video on it. I think a few here have tried it with acceptable results.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 02-01-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 1,323 Likes on 739 Posts

You may want to try some 1-shot sign paint, not sure how it would work on that large of a surface but it is made to flow out (smooth out) after application.

Get some and do a test spot, plus side is a lot of colors to choose from.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
You may want to try some 1-shot sign paint, not sure how it would work on that large of a surface but it is made to flow out (smooth out) after application.

What kind of life should I expect from it?
Old 02-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix

1 shot is a great brush on paint. It will last for years before it fades or chalks. its good stuff and almost looks sprayed when it flows out.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

PS....you on Dale Hollow or Cumberland???
Old 02-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Josh LaFountain
PS....you on Dale Hollow or Cumberland???
Unfortunatly no. I'm on an eastern ky lake. How would you prep the surface?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 1,323 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by tbooten
What kind of life should I expect from it?
What Josh said on the life.

Like anything the better the prep the better it will look, sand it as smooth as you want, make sure you use a good wax and grease remover.

1-Shot is high on solids, a lot of time you don't need to prime, but it would help. It is made to lay right on surfaces. They do offer a primer.
http://www.1shot.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.