Notices

Deck Removal?

Old 02-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deck Removal?

Picked up a 72 Glastron 177 "Swinger" (no comments please :-) ) and it is a project. The floor is spongy so I know it needs replacing, maybe the stringers too. Pulled the carpet and boy, was the factory cheap on the resin covering the floor! There are holes in the matting where the resin wasn't worn - it was just never flowed!

Anyway, to remove the floor, do I grind, sand or cut the bond along the side hull? I don't want to cut too deep and compromise the hull, so I am thinking a good 60 grit wheel to remove the resin and matting then pull the boards..

Am I on the right track?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by LHC30Victory
Picked up a 72 Glastron 177 "Swinger" (no comments please :-) ) and it is a project. The floor is spongy so I know it needs replacing, maybe the stringers too. Pulled the carpet and boy, was the factory cheap on the resin covering the floor! There are holes in the matting where the resin wasn't worn - it was just never flowed!

Anyway, to remove the floor, do I grind, sand or cut the bond along the side hull? I don't want to cut too deep and compromise the hull, so I am thinking a good 60 grit wheel to remove the resin and matting then pull the boards..

Am I on the right track?

Thanks
all honesty,,if its that rottin i would use a air chisel with a muffler cutting bit,,goes theough it like butter..after cutting the edges you can remove the whole section,this way will keep the grinding dust down and once everything is removed you can grind the edges to smooth everything out..
Old 02-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That chisel sounds like the plan...I hate glass dust and I end up with a pattern...Thanks