Cougar Cub=Glassdave Help >

Cougar Cub=Glassdave Help

Notices

Cougar Cub=Glassdave Help

Old 06-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cougar Cub=Glassdave Help

Hey Dave I was wondering if you could give me some pointers?

I have a 1985 10' Cougar Cub im restoring my my kids. I was to add a little support to the upper deck and support around the flush mount cleats and bow light that I will be installing. What is the best materials to use for this project?

I have done fiberglass work in the past but Im not sure what type of resin and glass matt to use for this project.

Thanks Anthony R.
Nordic95
Old 06-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Are you trying to support the whole deck or just the areas around the hardware? If you are just beefing up the area locally all you really need is some 1708 and vinylester. Just make a piece larger then the cleat or light but taper the edge out. In other words make each layer an inch or so larger then the next to avoid a hard spot (hope that makes sense). A couple layers or so for the light but the cleats should be four or five layers minimum.

http://uscomposites.com/specialty.html

700 VE should be fine.

http://uscomposites.com/polyesters.html
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
Are you trying to support the whole deck or just the areas around the hardware? If you are just beefing up the area locally all you really need is some 1708 and vinylester. Just make a piece larger then the cleat or light but taper the edge out. In other words make each layer an inch or so larger then the next to avoid a hard spot (hope that makes sense). A couple layers or so for the light but the cleats should be four or five layers minimum.

http://uscomposites.com/specialty.html

700 VE should be fine.

http://uscomposites.com/polyesters.html
Ok got it. I also see the inner liner was fiberglassed to the top deck,like a bulk head were your feet would end up. I can do the same repair there also? And If I wanted to add to the total strength of the deck how would I do that?

Thanks for your help Anthony
Old 06-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

if you want to add to the deck strength theres nothing better the adding a core. on a boat that small you could get away with something like quarter inch or maybe three eighths.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Registered

How long between layers should I wait? Im prepping with 36 grit on DA and was hoping not to sand between layers. Can they all go on at once or tack between?

Thanks Anthony
Old 11-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Registered

Hey Dave Ive been working on the boat alot lately and Im at a point where I need a little advice. I have a area of the new transom I installed that is taller then the original. I did this to raise X dimension(dont ask) But now I have about 2" of exposed resined plywood sticking up bast the old gel of the transom. What can I use to cover this and blend into the old gel? I will add a layer of 1.5 csm to build to the proper height. I am going to paint the whole boat with PPG products. Can I use the resin with micro ballons to build a layer of gel so to say? Or what would be the best product to use?
Thanks Anthony
Old 11-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

any pics of that area? trying to visualize what you need to cover.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Registered

Here are a couple of pictures. As you can see I raised the new transom about 2" higher then the old one was. So now when I reinstall the deck with the well on the opposite side I will need to finish this back area, the top, the sides, and the well area to make it all look like one again. I have the Q-Cells and Wax from us composite to use with my vinylester resin. Can I just mix this up and add a couple layer? then sand and finish with PPG products. I dont have a gel gun but I may need to buy one if you say so. Or what about brushing gel on if need be. I will also add a layer or two of csm 1.5 to build up to original thickness before I finish it. Also its not real critical to finish it off perfect since there will be a stainless plate that wrap over the top and down both sides before the motor gets mounted.

Thanks Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Cougar Cub=Glassdave Help-100_5567-medium-.jpg   Cougar Cub=Glassdave Help-100_5568-medium-.jpg  
Old 11-28-2011, 08:05 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

yea your gonna wanna wrap that in at the very least csm. I woild probably put a good radius on and maybe use some 1708. Tie as much of the surfaces together as you can and make sure there are some good knee bracing inside.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Registered

I cut new 1/2" transom plywood and a center 3/4" plywood like the boat originally had. I then resined both pieces and both sides to seal. I started with a layer of 1.5oz csm then 1/2" ply then another layer of csm then 3/4" followed with two layers of 1708. I then tabbed in two layers of 1708 on sides and bottom, one layer 8" wide the second about 14" wide. All outside rasdius where rounded with 1/2" router bit and inside radius were made with 3/4" strand chopped glass and cabosil peanut butter mix. This looks to be about 150 percent stronger then original. Remember its only a 35 horse behind a 10' boat with two kids in it....I hope its ok.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.