Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered
    My Boats:
    '84 Chris Craft Stinger 350sbc

Repairing imperfections on sides of boat

I would soon like to get to work on prepping the boat for new paint, but before I do, I have some questions about the condition of the hull. I am currently taking a 2 hour a day class at a Tech school in Autobody, and I was told I can bring in my boat to work on, if I wanted to. The boat has Imron paint, by the way.

1. Can I use a compressed air DA to sand the hull down? What grits do I need?
    2. For the minor scratches, can those be sanded out, or do they need to be filled?
    3. For bigger, deeper scratches, should I grind it down, then fill it?
    4. Would autobody bondo be OK for minor imperfections, and fiberglass + bondo for more serious damage? (I used bondo on small parts of my Mini Hawk, it worked pretty well!)

Pictures attached:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thank You!

Neno the mind boggler Gold Member glassdave's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum
    Are all those stripes paint or vinyl?
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction 377 Talon
    08 OPA Class 1 National Champion
    08 Class 1 Geico Triple Crown Champion
    08 OPA High Points Champion
    10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Registered
    My Boats:
    Quote Originally Posted by glassdave View Post
    Are all those stripes paint or vinyl?
    I beleive its paint.

My Boats:
    1982 Pantera 24sport
    Dave is the man, he'll give the whole lowdown. But at least glass any cracks, and dont use auto bondo, 3m makes a marine filler.

Platinum Member Platinum Member Rookie's Avatar
    My Boats:
    30 Scarab Panther
    Did you get the boat up and running yet? I would not spend time money and resources on the outer cosmetics until I knew if the boat was going to run and pan out.
    No matter how pretty she is, there is a guy who is sick of her S#!t

Neno the mind boggler Gold Member glassdave's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum
    Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    Dave is the man, he'll give the whole lowdown. But at least glass any cracks, and dont use auto bondo, 3m makes a marine filler.
    (lol . . . . love that new smiley)

Sam its going to be much much easier to just shoot the sides of the boat rather then try and do individual repairs. I dont have time at the moment but i will put up a punch list later on the process for your boat. You will need to aggressively remove whats there but its not to bad of a project. Actually doing just the sides is a great starter type do it yourself thing that should fit in nicely with learning materials and technique.

I went from this to this in four days. Not near perfect but showed real well, looked great from the dock. Rookie is right on do the mechanicals first then cosmetics. I drove this boat for one season shaking it down before i even thought about paint. Did power/interior/drives the winter i got it, drove it for most of the season and then did the paint one week that late summer. Actually i re shot the grey but otherwise ran it as it. I didnt put to much thought into the stripes, i was originally just gonna go all white. Ended up just tossing these on at the last second. Kinda weak but screw it, it woke it up a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by glassdave; 02-09-2012 at 09:37 AM.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction 377 Talon
    08 OPA Class 1 National Champion
    08 Class 1 Geico Triple Crown Champion
    08 OPA High Points Champion
    10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Registered
    My Boats:
    Quote Originally Posted by glassdave View Post
    (lol . . . . love that new smiley)

Sam its going to be much much easier to just shoot the sides of the boat rather then try and do individual repairs. I dont have time at the moment but i will put up a punch list later on the process for your boat. You will need to aggressively remove whats there but its not to bad of a project. Actually doing just the sides is a great starter type do it yourself thing that should fit in nicely with learning materials and technique.

I went from this to this in four days. Not near perfect but showed real well, looked great from the dock. Rookie is right on do the mechanicals first then cosmetics. I drove this boat for one season shaking it down before i even thought about paint. Did power/interior/drives the winter i got it, drove it for most of the season and then did the paint one week that late summer. Actually i re shot the grey but otherwise ran it as it. I didnt put to much thought into the stripes, i was originally just gonna go all white. Ended up just tossing these on at the last second. Kinda weak but screw it, it woke it up a bit.
    Thank you, I appreciate it! Beautiful Chris Craft you have by the way!

Registered
    My Boats:
    34 Hatteras 00 Crownline 248 ccr
    just don't get too fussy with every little flaw. the sides of the boat need to pass the 20-20 test. 20 feet away at 20 mph it needs to look good. people don't walk up and inspect it with a magnifying glass.

Charter Member # 55 Charter Member Griff's Avatar
    My Boats:
    ............................... 32 Active Thunder
    Quote Originally Posted by dereknkathy View Post
    just don't get too fussy with every little flaw. the sides of the boat need to pass the 20-20 test. 20 feet away at 20 mph it needs to look good. people don't walk up and inspect it with a magnifying glass.
    I guess that would be one opinion

Registered
    My Boats:
    2006 Kryptonite 29'
    Quote Originally Posted by dereknkathy View Post
    I agree. Get it running well enough that you can cruise all weekend without worrying about it stranding you, then start to clean it up cosmetically.

I know that everyone takes pride in how their boat looks, I am guilty of that also, but there is more to a boat than just the appearance. I would rather be boating than sitting in the driveway looking at a nice shiny hull.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast