Flaking clear coat - Help! >

Flaking clear coat - Help!

Notices

Flaking clear coat - Help!

Old 02-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaking clear coat - Help!

I had some graphics painted on the top of my 38 top gun. I just noticed the clear is starting to flake off in a couple of spots. what can i do to fix it with out sanding down the whole top deck and repainting it. I need help guys, even if its a temporary fix till next fall.

Last edited by Rudd Jr; 02-25-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be able to touch it up with clear to seal it down. But most likely the solvent will lift the clear and make it worse. Sorry there is not much you can do to save it.

Last edited by POWERPLAY J; 02-25-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

yep kind of a tough deal there. Most likely was not cleared within the 24 hour window that is required by most basecoats. Early on in my paint career i got bit by this a few times. How bigs the flake(s)?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Registered

so far Dave there is about 3 spots as big as my hand, i was going to tap off area and spot clear but the tape pulled more clear. i live in florida and wonder if its the relentless sun bakeing the top.I hate to try and reclear over the top when its only as strong as the first coat, but i would like to temp fix and repaint in the fall. what is your professional opinion.since repainting is inevitable any chance of reclearing without making a bigger mess?

Last edited by Rudd Jr; 02-25-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can try spotting clear but it's a waste of time and most likely will open a can of worms. There is no saving the base or anything it needs to be stripped and repainted. As Dave said they could've missed the window. They also could've used chitty materials. It sucks but just live with it until you get it painted.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

well unfortunatly the only way to do even a temporary you will have to find the edge of the delamination, i originally thought it may be a spot on the edge of a fairing or feature but sounds like its in the middle of an open area. Sounds like you have a combination of problems either the clear was put on the basecoat well outside of the 24 hr limit or it is a budget clear like the Omni line from PPG. The budget clears typically have very poor UV inhibitors which can cause this type of problem after just a few years. The only thing i can recommend is removing the affected clear with either a powerwasher, compressed air and a pin point blow gun or just sticking two inch tape on the surface and pulling the bad clear off. Now for the bad news (as if all that wasnt bad enough) because of how sensitive the finish is there really isnt any way to just simply and safely lock the edge back down. What looks bad now would probably look twice as bad with an uneven inconsistent bled out in the middle of a panel. As J said above the edge is sensitive to the solvents in the repair and could easily make it worse.

Post a pic if you can, there is one more long shot of an option but i need to see what the deck and graphics look like. If you cant post pics PM me and i will shoot you my email.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-25-2012, 05:58 PM
Registered

Thanks for your honesty guys, hearing bad news somtimes is as bad as giving bad news. I will try to post a pic but i think i should just plan on sanding it down and starting all over. how many coats of clear should i put down ( the good ppg line )? and can it be burned in to whatever brand clear was used previosly. ( im going to redo the whole top side deck and burn into the sides which seem to be fine)?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Registered

Default bad paint

try 2 inch tape and pull off all the clear light sand with 800 and re clear i am a
painter if u want send me a pm and i will send u my #
Old 02-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Registered

Default bad paint

send me a pm and i will send u my # i am a painter i will tell u what to do
Old 02-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Its basicly a done deal. there is nothing you can do to perminatly fix it. You need to take it back to the guy who painted it and make him redo it. Almost every paint mfr has a "window" of time you have to clear the basecoat. usually 48hrs. if you cant finish the job within this window you must apply an intercoat clear to seal it. That gives you anouther couple days and if you exceed that it will have to be scuffed before more base or clear is applied. I use Spies Hecker BC CC and there is no window to stay within. You can let it sit a month before you clear it if you want. Yet another reason why i beleave Spies is the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.