fiberglass product recommendations >

fiberglass product recommendations

Notices

fiberglass product recommendations

Old 02-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass product recommendations

Just picked up a 26' Corsa hull in pretty rough shape. Got a great deal so i couldnt resist. I have plenty of hours doing bodywork but am no fiberglass expert so bare with me. I was curious to fillers and what yall recommend for the hull exterior and interior if theres a differance. Theres so many... west coast, duraglass, marinetex, 3m vinylester? FGCI.com offers some good inexpensive products too, commercial grade? Ive tried to do some research but id rather hear it from experienced "locals". Also when it comes to doing my glasswork for my transom, which mat and resin would be best. I planned on using 3/4" biaxial marine ply when i do my transom and floors. Then 1/2" on my cabin floor/seat base. Appreciate everyones input

Last edited by dx787; 02-25-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I use 3m's premium marine for just about everything, sands easy and is good for below waterline. Transoms are pretty straight forward. I use ounce and a half CSM to set the transom and 1708 or 1808 for pretty much everything else. Also a good idea to upgrade to a vinylester resin. The layup for standard transoms is CSM,3/4 ply,CSM,3/4 ply, 1708,1708 and two extra layers of 1708 around the perimeter (8 inch tabbing)
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )