Deep fairing compound >

Deep fairing compound

Notices

Deep fairing compound

Old 03-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Deep fairing compound

The boat is a 1980's boston whaler supercat, so it's seen a-lot of offshore time. It's not a powerboat, but I thought you guys might could help me out. The decks of each hull have fairing compound very thick between the fwd and rear crossbars 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch in some places. It is badly spider cracked as it seems after the years some areas of the compound has dried out.

My initial plan is to build up with cloth, then fair, but the area is about 4' by six inched wide. maybe I could use some sort of core in the laminate. I need to know what to purchase, cloth, and core wise. I'll try to post a few photos of the process, and some more of what the damage looks like. At this time I am open to anything, but looking at it I think the fairing compound is WAY too thick, any other options?

I'm also restoring a classic century Arabian ski boat, and have done a 27' Excalibur as well as a 36' Cigarette mistress.

Thanks in advance.