Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Powder Coat or Paint >

Powder Coat or Paint

Notices

Powder Coat or Paint

Old 03-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Sleeper 6. I own a pc job shop in swfl and we do mainly custom auto, marine and cycle work. Kkat32, if I had a dollar for every guy who walked into my shop and said he used to own or run a powder coat shop I wouldn't have to work at all. If you were in fact involved in the industry, how long ago was it. It would be nice if people like you would qualify their experience before they started to bash someone's chosen line of work. In my shop we actually powder coat cycle tins (fenders, tanks etc.) and it looks as good as any custom paint out there. Most wet paint has to be wet sanded, buffed and polished before it looks perfect and you can do the same with powder coat. There are now additives for powder coat that cure the problem of out gassing. Last but not least powder coat is 10 X more durable than your wet paint. If you have any two identicle (below waterline) parts on your boat, send me one and I will do it in a super wet black FOR FREE. Run that part next to your wet painted part and then come back and tell us all about it. I have powder coated plow anchors on friends boats which are used on a weekly basis in salt water and other than scratches from reefs and wrecks they are perfect. To all others involved in this thread, my deepest apologies for my rant. It seems as if these days people are more and more outspoken about things in which they are misinformed.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the best equip, ITW GEMA and just sold booth and gun . Powercoat is great for what it was designed for ,production parts as in manufacturing as the part is made hangs a rack , gets washed then powder then baked then in a box . Never bashed your work just have ran into the uniformed that think P.C is the strongest and best for everything and yes it durable but has falls short in many areas .
I know many guys who used to get frames powercoated and never again as it hides cracks and after car is assembled or damaged cant be touched up like paint . I will say it looks nice on say a cycle frame but a gas tank ? all of the guys over here spend 4 k on custom paint and P.C wouldnt cut here , maybe for a lawn mower
Old 04-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

kkat32 sent you a PM
Old 04-03-2012, 05:41 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

after all this fighting. you guys stick the shiny, no orange peel parts in the water and only the fish see them. i think i'll open a business doing custom graphics on anti-fouling paint...
Old 04-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pc

i have a chit load of stuff PC on my boat and it looks awesome candy green, silver ,blue candy . And it looks every bit as good as any paint.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ridefast, so you are saying that it is pretty easy to get a custom color? That would be great to get my t-top piping in the same color gray as my hullsides. Do you just take them the paint code and they can match it?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by publius
ridefast, so you are saying that it is pretty easy to get a custom color? That would be great to get my t-top piping in the same color gray as my hullsides. Do you just take them the paint code and they can match it?
yes any good PC shop should be able to match it almost perfect, but make sure you dont take your stuff to a hack shop!!!