Gelo coat safe paint remover >

Gelo coat safe paint remover

Notices

Gelo coat safe paint remover

Old 04-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Gelo coat safe paint remover

Did a google search and found a few(Peel-Away and Ready-Strip came up the most) but none of them had very good reviews.

Is there anything out there that will actually remove paint without hurting the gel coat?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your graphics? Or overspray?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Your graphics? Or overspray?
Graphics.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Registered

It is possible. I think it has been discussed here as to what works best. I don't have stones big enough to try on mine lol. Keep in mind there will most likely be a discoloration and an outline that may or may not wetsand and rub out.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
It is possible. I think it has been discussed here as to what works best. I don't have stones big enough to try on mine lol. Keep in mind there will most likely be a discoloration and an outline that may or may not wetsand and rub out.
Yeah I figured there would be an outline from fading. I was going to do a small test spot and see if the outline could be wet sanded out.

Or just do yours first and let me know what works best!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Registered

Haha no thanks. I'll get around to painting it one day. PM Overlimits on here. Friend of mine and might know what ya need.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried it on mine. It does work, but it will soften the top layer of gel and cause it to swell up. Don't do any sanding on it for a while after until all the solvents escape and it shrinks back down. I only did one stripe before I quit and just sanded the rest off. In my experience it sands off faster and you dont have to worry about stuff coming back to bite you later.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by C.I.M.
I tried it on mine. It does work, but it will soften the top layer of gel and cause it to swell up. Don't do any sanding on it for a while after until all the solvents escape and it shrinks back down. I only did one stripe before I quit and just sanded the rest off. In my experience it sands off faster and you dont have to worry about stuff coming back to bite you later.
+1 sanding is the safest route..buy yourself a hutchins palm sander with hookit sand paper,start with 600 then work your way up to 2000,then buff with ultra buff and go boating,,thats if you want to stick with jusr the gel.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

they do make a air craft striper that is safe for gel coat. People that restore old vette's use it.You can always da sand it and buff it. How much paint is on it ?
Old 04-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by excalibur82
they do make a air craft striper that is safe for gel coat. People that restore old vette's use it.You can always da sand it and buff it. How much paint is on it ?
Thinking of removing the stripe on the boat(see avatar) so not a lot. Looks like sanding is the safest way. Although orbital sanders scare me. LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.